Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2002, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bagging, leaf clean up

How do you charge for leaf cleanup and/or bagging. Do you come out once when all the leaves are down, or a couple times? Do customers ever complain if you pick up leaves a couple of times instead of just waiting until they are all down and doing it once?

Here in Minnesota, if we wait until all the leaves have fallen before picking them up we could be in trouble if we get an early snow that covers up all the leaves and then the leaves are there all winter, not good.

I was thinking about charging my normal mowing rate plus a pre-determined amount for every lawn bag I fill up. Does anyone else do this?

Thanks again for all the advice,

Joel B.
Old 06-10-2002, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

it just depends on the customer and your location. i pesonally hate leaves but it comes with the job. and if there are not to many leaves i will just multch them if there are alot then we charge extra for raking and bagging them.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Well i just charge my normal rate per hour then add a price per bag that i fill up. I live in MN too and i normaly do it twice cuz i dont want the snow to hit cuz that has happend to me before. So where do you live in MN?
Old 06-10-2002, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Leaf cleanup

Hi Matt,

I'm in Plymouth, where are you? I'm thinking about starting a mowing/plowing business and trying to get as much advice/information as I can. How much do you charge per bag? Do you do any snow plowing?

Just out of curiosity, what would you charge to mow/trim/blow a 1/2 acre lot (minus house, drive, garage, etc...)?

Thanks for any advice,

Joel B.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We do a lot of leaf jobs. First of all, I never bag leaves. I use a tarp and throw them in the truck or on the trailer. If there aren't a lot, I will mulch and bag as much as possible. We have so many leaf jobs, that we are looking into getting a good vaccuum system for this fall.

We work in 2 areas, one has non-bagged curb-side leaf pick-up, the other doesn't. If I haul the leaves away, it's double the mowing rate. On a 30.00 yard, I charge 60.00. If I can blow them out to the curb and leave them for the city to pick up, I charge about 10.00 more than I do to mow.

We usually do leaves 2 times per customer in the fall. Some more, some less. If they want me to wait until they are all down, the price goes up.

I usually try to get the customer to go for gutter cleaning along with the leaf jobs. I will give them a package deal like 150.00 for both (depending on the size of the house and the gutter system).

1998 GMC Pick Up w/2002 Western Pro Plow
18’ Open Trailer
Billy Goat Truck Loader
2003 48” SCAG ZTR
2004 61” SCAG ZTR
2000 Honda 21” Push mower
Little Wonder Edger
Honda String Trimmer
Echo String Trimmer
Husqvarna 145 & 165 blowers
Stihl Hedge clippers

www.garyfd2.com