Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-11-2002, 05:26 AM
LawnSite Member

4wd

HEY I HAVE A 77 CHEVY W/NP203 CASE CONV SO I CAN RUN WITH 2WD. MY PROBLEM IS A BUDDY GOT STUCK LAST WEEKEND OUT IN THE WOODS AND CALLS ME TO PULL HIM OUT. I HAVE HAD THIS TRUCK FOR TWO YEARS. I PUT A 4" SUSP. LIFT ON IT. IT ALSO HAS A SNOW PLOW. I HAVE NEVER GOT IT STUCK! I'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT THE 4WD WORKED GREAT. THAT IS TILL LAST WEEKEND. IN THE PROCESS OF GETTING TO HIM I GET BURRIED IN THE MUCK. TRYING TO GET OUT I FIND OUT THAT MY FRONT TIRES ARE BARELY TURNING AT ALL. IT TOOK AWHILE BUT I FINALLY WORKED MY SELF OUT. ONCE I GOT GOING THE FRONT WHEELS WOULD SPIN GREAT. SO I GET HOME AND START LOOKING THINGS OVER AND I FIND OUT THAT WHEN I SHIFT IN TO 4 HIGH LOC THAT MY SHIFTER LEVER IS HITTING THE FLOOR IN THE CAB. SO I TRIMMED A LITTLE METAL OUT OF THE WAY AND TO MY SURPRISE THE LEVER WOULD MOVE BACK ANOTHER 1/2 TO 3/4 OF AN INCH. IS THIS MY PROBLEM? OR DO I HAVE TO GO A LITTLE DEEPER INTO THE CASE. I ALSO NOTICED THAT THE LINKAGE DOWN BELOW DOES NOT MOVE VERY FAR WHEN SHIFTING FROM LOW TO HIGH, HIGH TO LOW AND SO FORTH. DOES ANY BUDDY HAVE ANY WORDS OF WISDOM. BY THE WAY MY FRONT END HAS ALL NEW PARTS BEARINGS, SEALS, LOCKOUTS, ETC. FRANZNJ@NETINS.NET
Old 06-17-2002, 01:31 AM

The best way to tell if this was the problem is take a buddy or a winch with you and go hit the same mud hole. You will SOON find out the answer.