Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-12-2002, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

toro 223D Hydralic problems

I am having problems with a toro groundsmaster 223D. The rate of drop on the deck is slow. It will not drop fast enough to fallow the ground contour. It raises fine and runs well in every way but drop rate. Is there a restricter in the line some place that can be adjusted?
Old 06-13-2002, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

there could be but the only way to know for sure is to have the hyd. schematics. i doubt there is one though. usually they are on turf equiment (golf course) where there are reels in the back that need to come down a little bit later than the front. really no reason to have one on a single deck mower. i would first check to make sure the pivot pins are greased and moving freely. even if you have to unbolt the deck to make sure. 90% of hyd problems are external. grasmo.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been busy, so this is the first chance I got to look this up in my parts manual. Also if you can give me the model and serial # of the unit I might be able to find out more.
At a quick scan of the parts manual of the hydraulic lift system, I did not see any restrictors in any of the normal places. However I did notice that it seems to have a valve control assy that affects the floating ability of the deck. On the side of the valve is two caps(plugs), under one of them is a plunger that might need replacing(part # 65-2750). Are experience with this problem is that the nylon part of the plunger gets worn and then the deck will not float.
Example: deck goes over bump and then hangs in the air once on level ground. On larger units they have a rebuild kit available, however I did not see a rebuild kit for this valve listed. They also show an o-ring for the caps, however no part number! A guess on the part number for the o-ring would be 58-6450.
You might check the lift arm pivot points and pins for signs of wear. If you are running a recycling deck we have had problems with the arms bending or cracking around the pivot points.
Let me know what you find.
City of San Diego

We enrich lives through quality parks and programs.