Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2009, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

And at the same date & location:

http://co.monmouth.nj.us/documents/5...09%20njnla.pdf

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-10-2009, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone know when they are going yet? I think I'm gonna go on Thursday. We should all try to meet up if enough of us are going.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-11-2009, 05:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
Anyone know when they are going yet? I think I'm gonna go on Thursday. We should all try to meet up if enough of us are going.
might make it up there on thurs.....depends on the weather.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
that one is brutal. they used to have it in freehold gardens....8 hours sitting in a steel chair. towards the end of the day, unless the instructor is dynamic, the lectures begin to sound like the teacher from charlie brown
Old 01-11-2009, 05:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams To Designs View Post
Matt, I'll definitely be there for many classes. The water management and drainage class is this month on the 17th, and that is an essential program for anyone doing any type of landscaping or hardscaping. Drainage is such an important, overlooked aspect of landscapes, and it's a good money maker as well. Are you thinking of attending some of the short courses?

As long as the student numbers warrant it, I will be at the Basics of Plant Materials for Landscape use as well as Beds and Borders and I would certainly like to attend Principles and Practices of Landscape Design as well as a couple of the new design specific programs. Every program has real world instructors that are performing what they are teaching, for paying clients.

Kirk
i took all those courses and many more years ago....good stuff! who's still teaching up there, any idea? i had bruce (doc) hamilton, pete mahoney, steve kristoff and larry benz...all good guys. i still run into steve every now and then, hes got a specialty nursery out in millstone. i'd like to see them put together a course on green roofs....i think it's gonna be a really good niche for guys that get into it sooner rather than later.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Doc, retired last year, but may make an appearance in the Basics of Landscape Plants. Steve is now the leader of Basics of Landscape plants along with Derron Dover and a couple of really great filed and classroom staff. Larry left the programs two years ago and the Basics of Design class has not been held since. Pete is still teaching in the Home Gardener's School, both spring & fall. Steve is very active in teaching during the short turf program and the two year program. Bruce Crawford is now the director of the Rutgers Garden and teaches the Principles of Landscape Design course with Dominic Mondi and Bruce Neary is the course coordinator in quite a few programs.

The green roof idea is a good suggestion, but in keeping with the Rutgers tradition, we would need an instructor that has extensive experience in that subject, and there are not a lot of those folks out there yet. Lot's of folks with ideas and suggestions, but not a great deal of research or track record.

Kirk
Old 01-11-2009, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams To Designs View Post
Doc, retired last year, but may make an appearance in the Basics of Landscape Plants. Steve is now the leader of Basics of Landscape plants along with Derron Dover and a couple of really great filed and classroom staff. Larry left the programs two years ago and the Basics of Design class has not been held since. Pete is still teaching in the Home Gardener's School, both spring & fall. Steve is very active in teaching during the short turf program and the two year program. Bruce Crawford is now the director of the Rutgers Garden and teaches the Principles of Landscape Design course with Dominic Mondi and Bruce Neary is the course coordinator in quite a few programs.

The green roof idea is a good suggestion, but in keeping with the Rutgers tradition, we would need an instructor that has extensive experience in that subject, and there are not a lot of those folks out there yet. Lot's of folks with ideas and suggestions, but not a great deal of research or track record.

Kirk
glad to hear all those guys are still around and teaching. doc is legend for sure (your idea is not valid, lol!) and derron was just starting as an intern back when i was there.....really nice guy as i recall. i learned a lot from all those guys.

i hear you on the green roofs...i do think its gonna be a big thing in the next 5-10 years...that in conjnction with water conservation.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

anyone else love the big snow storm we got this weekend! If we got a whole inch in Freehold we were lucky!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shade tree landscaping View Post
anyone else love the big snow storm we got this weekend! If we got a whole inch in Freehold we were lucky!
We got nothing!!! But I never get any snow.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-12-2009, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to NJ, if you don't like the weather, wait until tomorrow, it might not be better, but it will be different!

We had rain, a few times with some snowflakes mixed in, but little else.

Shade tree, what year did you attend the basics of landscape plants? Mid 90's maybe? They are a great bunch of guys and proud to be able to call them friends. There are some new and interesting classes you may want to check out. The program is really evolving and there has been an influx of new blood and ideas. Unfortunately, the economic situation postponed some new ideas for a future date, these classes will keep getting better and a few may even come to a location near you and everyone else.

Kirk