Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2002, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

lyming and fertilizing

Well to be honest, I'm not even sure if this is the proper spelling, but, I'm curious if it's okay to spread fertilizer and lyme at any point. I feel like I should be concerned whether rain is predicted and if the grass is wet. But, I'd like any advice that I could get.

Thanks Forza
Old 06-17-2002, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lime is a soil treatment & can be applied with fertilizer. Apply in the spring or fall. We apply lime at 10lbs. per 1000 sq. ft.
Old 06-17-2002, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Agronomically, fall liming is the best choice.

jim
Old 06-17-2002, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Forza,

Uconn/Storrs offers soil testing. So does the Ct. Agriculture Experiment Station, 122 Huntington Street, New Haven, CT. South down Rt 63 to Rt 10 go east. <Great neighborhood, lock doors!> Where 10 becomes Whitney watch on the right for Huntington St. Ag Station is on the right side 2 blocks up. Enter first driveway, soils is there on the left. See Greg Bugbee. I think the soil test is still free. Bring a few cups of the soil in a clean dry container. Greg will do the rest. You'll have results in a week or two.

Soils here in CT has different needs for Lime that may range from 0 to as much as 200 lbs./1000 sq ft. The most likely rate if I had to pull a guess out of my hat would be 35-50lbs/1000 or around 2000lbs per Acre. Given the potential scope of this work, it is better to test first then treat. Fall is better so we have plenty of time to contact Greg.

COMMERCIAL PLUG ALERT. We sell Lime, Fertilizer, & Soil testing services. See my home page. The closest branch to you is in Middlebury. Just off Rt. 188 on the north side of I84. 203-758-2850 Chris or Mark.
Have I no shame?

Good Luck,

Steve
Old 06-18-2002, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard you shouldnt lime and fert. at the same time, as the lime causes the fert to release all its N immediately. Is there any validity to this??
Old 06-18-2002, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

lime and fertilization

My last question about about spreading lime and fertilizer is do I need to have rain in the forcast or can I just spread whenever. I also heard it's not good to spread this stuff when the grass is wet. Is that true?

Thanks for all the helpful responses to my last question.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Alppying Lime & Fertilizer at the same time causes a very small quantity of each to cancel each other out in a common yet non-damaging chemical reaction. The result is a very minor loss of effectiveness that is likely to go unnoticed, if everything is applied properly in the first place. IE, Lime should not be applied to actively growing turf at rates that exceed 50lbs/M at any one time. N should be applied in a form & at a rate that is seasonally appropriate. Common sources of slow release N will not be affected by the Lime.

Some sources of N are best applied to a dry grass canopy, especially if the temps are due to climb. Some fertilzers also contain micronutrients such as Iron that are quite a benefit to the turf, but could stain damp walkways or pavers before they can be removed.
Neither of these 2 products will work until they've been watered into the rootzone. The only danger to not applying just before a rain is possible redistribution/collection by a mower or volatilization of a small quanitiy of the nitrogen. Neither is likely to be significant but sceduling in advance of rain isn't all that difficult to accomplish so why not?

Steve