Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2002, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Flowery Looking Grass

My mother's lawn here in Michigan has quite a lot of flowery looking grass. That is to say that it looks like normal grass at the beginning then near the top it kind of looks flowery. When the grass grows long, it creates a light colored look to the lawn. Not very appealing. First question, what is this stuff? Second question, how do I get rid of it?
Old 06-18-2002, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

1.) Seed, a normal repoductive activity every spring. It is about twice as heavy this season as typical.

2.) Nothing, just continue mowing as normal and feed lawn to replentish reserves spent on seed production.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As Kent lawns has indicated, this is seed or technically: inflorescence. It generally occurs on lawns that are mowed infrequently or that are cut at a longer length. This year the inflorescence has been present on most lawns regardless of the mowing culture.

jim
Old 06-18-2002, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it over your entire lawn?? or in patches?? It almost sounds like you are describing bentgrass mixed in with your lawn...it has a tendency to flower at a lower height, therefore it really stands out against ryes, bluegrasses, etc.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

poa anna? (sp)
Old 06-18-2002, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My Kentucky Bluegrass lawn has been flowering like crazy and I've mowed on a three day schedule this year to keep up with the growth. There's no agrostis palustris or poa annua in this poa pratensis turf! It's the weather.

jim
Old 06-18-2002, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nitrogen is suppost to push vegatative growth and help prevent seed head formation. Didn't stop seed formation on my lawn this year.

jim
Old 06-19-2002, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Red Top & Poa Anua are flowering like crazy here in CT & have been now for weeks. Poor cultivars of Kentucky Bluegrass are too.

Did anyone ever wonder why the best turf seed cultivars are always the most expensive? Midnight as an example. It's not just because us producers/distributors are capitalist! It's because the cultivars that mow the cleanest in the spring are also those that produce the least seed head. That means fewer ponuds of harvest per acre. And the costs to maintain that acre don't change.

Here at the homestead, Primo has kept seed head formation down almost to zero. Even on my neighbors old Common KBG lawn the formation of seeds is about only 20% of what we might expect to see. It's too late this year to benefit from the Primo/Seedhead relationship, but there's always next year.

Jim's on the money with respect to the N. Just don't go & spoil this approach with sizeable quantities of applied P. Phosphorous stimulates seed head formation in a big way.

Keeping to a very tight mowing scedule helps a lot too. Let the grass get tall, & the stalks that support the seedhead will mow very poorly.

If you see seedheads that are fully developed, then how long are we going between mowings anyway?

Steve
Old 06-19-2002, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tremors right on on the older cultivars producing seed heads. My lawn was seeded 12 years ago before I knew anything about turf. It was a cheap seed mix. This lawn is scheduled for overseeding this fall to upgrade the cultivar mix. This should improve the color, reduce the susceptability to disease and reduece seed head formation in the future with the right cultivars.

jim