Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2000, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 91 sierra with a 4.3L and 194,000 miles on it. My question is would you suggest a re-manufactured engine or rebuild it? Most guys around my area say it would be as cheap for a remanufactured engine. The only problem is trying to find a reputable engine company. I don't trust Auto Zone and GM offers their re-manufactured 4.3 at $2600.00 plus $600.00 the dealer wants for the installation. Seems high but it carries a 3 year 50,000 mile warranty plus if the dealer installs it I shouldn't get the run around if something happens to it. The truck is in real good shape and I only gave $2300.00 for it so I feel it is worth fixing compared to buying a new one.
Old 03-01-2000, 06:44 PM
4LOW

checkout www.paceparts.com, they list the<br>4.3's at 1600 reman & 2000 new, there is<br>a 250$ core charge. they come with the <br>same warranty as you mentioned.<br>
Old 03-01-2000, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your dealer seems high on the price of that engine. And if you are spending that much money get a good wrench new engine. It is a pretty easy swap, something a good back yard mechanic could do in a day.<br>Dino
Old 03-01-2000, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Dealer sounds way high. Should be about $1000 less if you reuse intake, carb, etc. GM performance sells an H.O. 350 for that much (give or take a buck). I don't think I'd spend a whole lot on the motor if the truck wasn't worth it.
Old 03-02-2000, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I did one in an astro last year,a brand new Goodwrench 4.3 was 1425 +300 core charge.Maybe you should try another dealer and try to get them to sell it to you at (shop price) which is usually around 20% off retail.They will,if they want your business.Do not install a cheap auto zone or similar reman.There is no way to tell if it was overheated or wias not properly assembled.The GM one has these advantages:all upgrades and updates done,it will have a balance shaft,making it smoother than a reman.Better sealing,quieter valve covers,3year/50k warranty.A big diff in resale.I look at an aftermarket rebuild as a reason to aviod a truck alone.A quality truck deserves a quality engine.If it's not worth it,you will have to decide how much to invest before parting it or selling.Good luck<p>----------<br>John D<br>
Old 03-02-2000, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I almost forgot,With GM you get warranty coverage coast to coast at any dealer.Some local parts stores may be out of bussiness before warr. expires.<p>----------<br>John D<br>