Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2009, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF PLUS View Post
Mn T M,

I am new at application methods of compost.

I have an Eco Lawn Applicator, it was delivered in November.

Bottom-line for me is: Its the material you put in the machine that counts
Dry-Sandy-Top soil with little Compost (Bagged) or Dry-Cow Manure Compost (Bagged) spreads very fast (six cubic foot/K having trap door set at three) less than a minute.

I tried bulk Compost, very little sand with yard-waste-compost had a problem with bridging of material. Trap door was set full open, 14 cubic foot per 900 square feet was spread and it took way to long. The application needed to be smoothed out with blower.

Pure-Worm Castings or a compound of grain and worm casts fast but watch for over application, needs minor adjustments.

The machine is solid, I believe I have a problem with compost.

Hopes this helps,
Tom

Thanks for the Info TF. That's kind of what i am wondering about. We will be using Bulk compost but it will be screened really good. Any sticks or twigs in there will be less than an inch in length, so i hope that will still work good. The only problem will be trying to keep the bulk load dry.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

MnTM,

I have a thought, on Wednesday 21st, the Eco Guy is going to go over the Applicator with me and even spread material. I will have the bulk compost that I used before to test. If after adjustments to the machine and it still bridges with this material, I will show him the vibration kit I had installed on my Lesco broadcast spreader. The vibration eliminated the bridging with the worm casts- grain compound, it might work on the Eco.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
MnTM,

I have a thought, on Wednesday 21st, the Eco Guy is going to go over the Applicator with me and even spread material. I will have the bulk compost that I used before to test. If after adjustments to the machine and it still bridges with this material, I will show him the vibration kit I had installed on my Lesco broadcast spreader. The vibration eliminated the bridging with the worm casts- grain compound, it might work on the Eco.
Please keep me informed with what you find out. I am VERY curious. I really want to buy this machine this spring as the other machines i have checked into just don't seem to be what i am looking for. And like i said before, we will be using bulk compost that will be screened very good but there will still be some sticks and twigs in there.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

TF Plus, I am interested in the vibration kit you used for your spreader. Where did you get it and how much? thanks Mike
Old 01-16-2009, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

MnTM,

I will keep you posted.

The bulk compost I first tried was screened to half inch. No big pieces. They had a huge machine doing the screening. The machine looked brand new, big bucks$$$$$.

Owner of site said he's been composting for 15 years. Has three different grades of yard-waste compost: Mostly compost (18-20$), Half sand-half composted material (12-15$), and Mostly sand (8$).

Greetings Mike,

The vibration kit was from Vortex Granular Systems, owners name is Mike. Very innovative guy and he has a website. It was 350$ installed. He's out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Several years ago I met Mike and had him come to Marco Island and demo a kit to attach to your spreader so you can spread fertilizer in bushes, tough to reach areas, etc... It worked, so I bought the kit and he installed it. I called on Mike when I first had a difficult time spreading worm cast-grain compound back in August. So now I can use my Lesco spreader to spread worm cast grain compound on bushes and lawns where application amount need to be accurate.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

hey Tom, maybe come the 19th or 20th I will have some of the issues that you said fixed with the ecolawn.........
Old 01-16-2009, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

http://vortexspreader.com

http://vortexspreader.com/pdf/products.pdf

How do you power the vibration kit?
Old 01-16-2009, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
JDU,
12 v re-chargeable Marine battery. Holds a charge very well, that is not an issue.

Hi TG1 and please say Hi to Phill.
It will be difficult to leave our Gulf Island then and Eco Guy will be here on 21st, but soon I will make the journey over to your Ocean Island and visit...
Old 01-16-2009, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
JDU,
12 v re-chargeable Marine battery. Holds a charge very well, that is not an issue.

Hi TG1 and please say Hi to Phill.
It will be difficult to leave our Gulf Island then and Eco Guy will be here on 21st, but soon I will make the journey over to your Ocean Island and visit...
Thanks TF Plus,

Couple more questions. How big is the vibration kit? I assume it is mounted inside the hopper?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

JDU,

Its a small vibrator but powerful unit that bolts to the outside-front lowest area of the spreader hopper (6"X2.5" in size) and the vibration plate (4"X4") goes on inside of the hopper. The battery sits on a shelf mounted to hand hold in front of spreader.

It has not caused maintenance problems with the spreader, not even loose bolts.

Give Vortex-Mike a call he has photos of setting mine up, he is very knowledgeable and easy to talk with.