Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2009, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a Kawasaki 19 hp motor with only 10 hours on it for sale....I has a 1" dia x 3 5/32" shaft, electric start and the Donaldson heavy duty air filter kit on it. I'm selling it for $699. PM me know if you are interested....
Sthil FC110 Edger
Sthil MS 250 Chain Saw
Agri-Fab 125lb Spreader
Jacobsen Power Edger
Excell 2400 PSI Pressure Washer
Ariens 1024 Snow Thrower
Karavan 6X12 Galvanized Trailer
Old 01-02-2009, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Member

just check the bolts. its not that old I don't think. you know what you could do? buy a new 110 or something w/ the same motor from lowe's or the depot, swap the motors, save for the covers and such so the one you're returning still looks new, change the oil, and bring it back saying its knocking, and you immediately got another one someplace else, if they ask if you want to exchange it, and get your money back. john deere just basically sold two mowers, lowe's/depot got full credit, and the profit the selling company makes from selling another to someone else actually keeping theirs, actually breaks them even. nobody loses, and although its not exactly a good or honest thing, neither is what box stores do to small businesses, the shifting economy, or their employees, so do this to big box retailers w/ a clear conscience. they're billion-dollar a week companies that actually have quite sizable accounts set aside for this, every month. its expected, so don't feel bad. you're creating jobs in the bigger sceme of things, actually hurting corporate gReed, and helping yourself. all in the same day. just don't do this sort of thing too often, that would be wrong. just like them doubng their actual cost, to the retail prices they offer their goods to the public. wait, they already do that! don't worry; do this and I PROMISE you're not going to hell.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Also check for a throttle shaft screw that may have come out & gotten on top of the piston.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

check the mounting bolts.

also the "knocking" could be a stuck/noisy lifter. kohlers are notorious for that. it won't really hurt anything, but it is annoying.

salvagedrover... we had a customer try something like this with us.

the idiot didn't realize he was dealng with trained mechanics and the resulting fraud charges and fines cost him MUCH more than being honest.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

lol, i'm not surprised. i personally, wouldn't do that to a shop. i've worked for three of them, and have dealt with that as well. i WOULD however, do it to a bog box store. they sell crap, which i'm sure you know. that crap ends up on our bench, but we KNOW the owner isn't going to pay to get it fixed, because he was cheap enough to buy from one of those stores in the first place. so, we have to turn him away, essentially telling to go f* himself. or so he thinks, even though, we're actually trying to get him to buy a quality piece of echo, redmax, or stihl equipment that will outlast anything you can get at lowe's or home depot that isn't grey or orange. it's places like that that offer cheaper chinese-quality machines, as opposed to higher priced, (higher-quality,) machines shops like ours offer. basically, the machines they sell are disposable, in a nutshell. much like a hyundai elantra or a kia rio. anyways, i despise big box stores for countless reasons. i would not think twice about ripping them off, but as far as the smaller places? never in a million years. even if the guy who owns it is a know-it-all asswipe, like a lot of them are. it's small shops that keep this country going, not box stores.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

salvagedrover... i heard that.

if a piece of equipment we don't sell comes in, we collect a min. 1/2 fee before we even look at it. they don't wanna pay, take it away.

we're also the servicing deere dealer for the local lowes/home depot. when see some of the abused machines they take back, i'm stunned. then when the lowes depot gets a bill for fixing the thing they took back, they're stunned.

i also like doing the work for the local wally world. they call us when they got at least 20 to work on and they're mostly walk behind and easy money. drain water out, replace fouled plugs, clean air filters, etc.

bent crankshaft takes a minute to find and another to condemn the machine. about 3-5 mins. and we make 1/2 hour on it.

the china ones are about the same. basically no parts available. pay us to tell you that and buy a new mower.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

LOL, I love this business!!! i won't even take stuff in at all sometimes. i'll just say "we don't service equipment like that." i try to keep my first response vague and generalized, so that they HAVE to know why, . then, i just sell them a stihl or an echo. i'm great at selling, ALmost as good as i am at fixing the stuff.

Tags
john deere , kohler , motor , rebuild