Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2009, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Wall Rebuild

A client call a bout rebuilding a wall the had failed. It was not on the I had built. I have a geo tec report about the failed slope. The wall failed due to poor construction. Base was not keyed in to bearing soil, drainage behind wall was not large enough and corrugated perf pipe was used. I will post pictures. I am planning to excavate to bearing soil, for a base that is 2' wide and 6" and the drain area behind the wall will be 18" wide with fabric, clean 3/4" gravel and 4" perf. rigid pipe. Plus geo grid will place into wall (ps 35 every third or second course. Compacting as we go in 3" lifts. My question is what is the minimum set backs for these type of wall. The height of the wall will not exceed 4' from grade and 4 terrace will reach finished grade. For example the first wall is four the second wall with be set back from the top of the first wall 4'? Or is more distance needed? To ensure that the dead load of the upper wall with not cause failure.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

One, ask NCMA...they have minimum distances for this...don't know them off the top of my head.

Second, contact the block manufacturere and speak with there engineer. They will tell you.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Talked to a county engineer and figured out me own question 2 to 1. So, if I go up 4 I next wall has to eight feet back.