Register free!

Old 01-17-2009, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Techo dealers popping up everywhere

Has anyone noticed Techo is starting to space thier dealers like 20 miles apart and closer, just wondering if anyone else has noticed this? the reason i ask is that is what made them such a good company in the past, they wouldn't just give any average Joe the right to sell thier product like most other paver companies.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

(clearin my throat) I'm reminded of a former Balcon/Belgard sales rep. In the early days said employee swore that they would not have dealers on every corner. Shortly afterwards.......they had dealers on every corner and gave every contractor that had a pick up truck authorized installer status.

To be fair, in our area, it's tough. Because Techo may have Dealer "A" in one county, another dealer, Dealer "B" far away in another county. Dealer "B" decides to open a store in the same county as Dealer "A". Then Techo allows them to sell pavers as well. Ok, but morally, at the end of the day - that still is not an ethical way to operate.

I must also say that we had a Techo dealer here in MD that was performing poorly. Very Poorly. I called the local Techo orep and begged him to give another supplier (approx 20 miles away) dealer status, which they did. And I am very greatful for.

A few months ago someone from NY had expressed the same concern about Techo.

And I know some people from PA that refuse to install Techo because the Techo-Depot facility alledgedly also installs pavers, which alledgedly the owner of Techo denies. It's alledged that the owner of Techo and the guy from Techo Depot are related?

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 01-18-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

At the HNS earlier in the week, Techo had totaly pulled out due to financial reasons. Also heard rumors about their finacial stability. More dealers, means more inventory they sell.

With the Belgard/Pavestone deal off, it will be an interesting year. Some manufactures are sure to be absorbed or go under.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.Com
Old 01-18-2009, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nicolock has put ALL their dealers on C.O.D. I had to go to their plant last week to get some color samples - the employees were sitting down, music blarring, bored out of their minds.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
(clearin my throat) I'm reminded of a former Balcon/Belgard sales rep. In the early days said employee swore that they would not have dealers on every corner. Shortly afterwards.......they had dealers on every corner and gave every contractor that had a pick up truck authorized installer status.

To be fair, in our area, it's tough. Because Techo may have Dealer "A" in one county, another dealer, Dealer "B" far away in another county. Dealer "B" decides to open a store in the same county as Dealer "A". Then Techo allows them to sell pavers as well. Ok, but morally, at the end of the day - that still is not an ethical way to operate.

I must also say that we had a Techo dealer here in MD that was performing poorly. Very Poorly. I called the local Techo orep and begged him to give another supplier (approx 20 miles away) dealer status, which they did. And I am very greatful for.

A few months ago someone from NY had expressed the same concern about Techo.

And I know some people from PA that refuse to install Techo because the Techo-Depot facility alledgedly also installs pavers, which alledgedly the owner of Techo denies. It's alledged that the owner of Techo and the guy from Techo Depot are related?
Just to touch on what you just said, I have heard the same thing that Tony from Tech Depot is related to Charlie and that he does do installations, on top of that he sells to landscape contractors which is also against the rules of his deal.