Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2009, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly Prof. Lighting View Post
Thanks,
I actually spent 3 straight years up there working on that project. I was the only employee, so the owner and I did everything. All the underground, all the access roads throughout the 500 acre property, equestrian trails (about 5 miles), 2 model log homes constructed, cutting timber and clearing homesites, bridges, a 5 acre park with ponds and 2 large timber pavilion structures, all the common area irrigation and landscaping, welding, maintaining all of the trucks and heavy equipment, plus all the little incidentals inbetween. This was such a fun project and the owner became like a father to me. It was such a great experience. I worked for him for 7 years but I was married and had a new baby and needed to make more than 10.50 an hour. That has been about 9 years since I left that company.
That sounds a lot like what I did years ago. I had a lot of fun. I met a girl and got married and ended up moving away.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 01-19-2009, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindblomRJ View Post
That sounds a lot like what I did years ago. I had a lot of fun. I met a girl and got married and ended up moving away.
It always amazes me what we give up for our wives and families, but it is totally worth it.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 01-19-2009, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
It always amazes me what we give up for our wives and families, but it is totally worth it.
That is true. And it doesn't feel like I gave up anything. Rather gained much much more. And I still get to do the work I like. The only gripe I have is the location. But even then its not so bad.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 01-19-2009, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have never been to South Dakota, but it must be beautiful around the black hills area. I have a friend that moved his family to North Dakota a few years ago. He is a pastor in a church in Fargo or just outside of it. He says it gets insanely cold there, which I can imagine. I grew up in Bozeman Montana. I remember it always being 20 to 40 below zero there in the winter. I think my blood is too thin for those temps now though.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 01-19-2009, 03:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

WOW that scenery is beautiful..that bridge is very sharp looking after the stain was applied. Very unique, wish I had scenery like that around me.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star Lawn Care View Post
WOW that scenery is beautiful..that bridge is very sharp looking after the stain was applied. Very unique, wish I had scenery like that around me.
Thank you, I am very fortunate to live in the west. It is very beautiful.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 01-19-2009, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I have never been to South Dakota, but it must be beautiful around the black hills area. I have a friend that moved his family to North Dakota a few years ago. He is a pastor in a church in Fargo or just outside of it. He says it gets insanely cold there, which I can imagine. I grew up in Bozeman Montana. I remember it always being 20 to 40 below zero there in the winter. I think my blood is too thin for those temps now though.
Around the hills it is beautiful. I say the same about Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. We also have badlands, however the Badlands of North Dakota are prettier, if you will.

Even the prairie has beauty, but I like the hills and mountains. I miss that sort of thing dearly.

Veritas and æquitas