Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2009, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1234 View Post
LOL, I did the same thing. Generated a list of about 1k homes that we mail to 2-3 times between march and april. This year I also kept a note of how many calls, where they were from, etc. I'm going to use that to takes some areas off the list and increase direct mailings to others.

Also got our bulk mailing permit from the USPS which helps a great deal on the postage costs. I use a tri-fold two sided brochure and the print shop prints the return address and my bulk postage info for me. Only thing I have to do is apply the mailing labels.

As far as what to include.......go down to a local book store and pick up a few marketing books and make sure they cover direct mail marketing. Lots of helpful tips and tricks to get people to call....from what words to use to when to mail.
What was the process of getting your USPS bulk mailing permit? Was it expensive? I would love to get some info on this.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-07-2009, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
This might sound ridiculous, but I picked out the areas that I wanted to cover and made my own lists. In the winter I drove around and would write down the street names and the numbers. When I would get home, I would enter them into a database. It was kind of a pain in the a**, but it wasn't too bad.
I did this as well, LOL. It allows us to target the neighborhoods exactly. A lot of the 'hoods we send to are new and therefore are not in the maps yet, so that's why we can't do that.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
What was the process of getting your USPS bulk mailing permit? Was it expensive? I would love to get some info on this.
Hi DLAWNS,

Process wasn't that bad at all. Go to your local post office (make sure they do bulk mailing) and ask to speak with the postmaster. Explain to him (or her) what you are trying to accomplish and they should help you out. There is a one time fee (I think $150) and another annual fee ($100 or so I believe) that you are required to pay. If my memory serves me correctly, my first year including both fees I saved something like 50 bucks and I only did about 1600 mailings. I've increase my mailings to around 2k and I definately save over paying first class postage.

FYI, biggest pain was the mailing labels you need to place in the postal service bins. YOu need to call someone in the edison office and have them made up and delivered to you (no extra cost). Allow 3-4 weeks for this...so start now if looking for end feb/march mailings.

Keep in mind you also have to sort per zip code and there are min. mailings. Like I said you need to take a little closer look to see if it makes sense. Oh, and they don't accept CC's for payment...cash or check.

PM me with any specifics.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1234 View Post
Hi DLAWNS,

Process wasn't that bad at all. Go to your local post office (make sure they do bulk mailing) and ask to speak with the postmaster. Explain to him (or her) what you are trying to accomplish and they should help you out. There is a one time fee (I think $150) and another annual fee ($100 or so I believe) that you are required to pay. If my memory serves me correctly, my first year including both fees I saved something like 50 bucks and I only did about 1600 mailings. I've increase my mailings to around 2k and I definately save over paying first class postage.

FYI, biggest pain was the mailing labels you need to place in the postal service bins. YOu need to call someone in the edison office and have them made up and delivered to you (no extra cost). Allow 3-4 weeks for this...so start now if looking for end feb/march mailings.

Keep in mind you also have to sort per zip code and there are min. mailings. Like I said you need to take a little closer look to see if it makes sense. Oh, and they don't accept CC's for payment...cash or check.

PM me with any specifics.
Cool, man. Thanks for the help. I will look into it over the winter.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-23-2009, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Dlawns and other Jersey: I got the list I'm working on now for free from this site http://tax1.co.monmouth.nj.us/cgi-bi...t=1301&mode=11

If this link does not work try this and click on property record search. http://www.unioncountynj.org/taxboard/