Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-24-1999, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

hello forum! I have an E-150 econoline ford 12 passenger van (no rear seats, a former delivery van, like driving around in a big ole cave). this aint a truck but the question may be the same. anybody have problems with the driver side floorboard going out? I don't mean rusting out, I mean punching out when you push in the clutch!<p>for the ford truckophiles, I also have a one owner '77 f-100 with &lt; 70k miles. air still runs cold!<p>merry Christmas to all and a happy new year!<p>GEO
Old 01-05-2000, 06:08 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I haven't seen this problem before. I have had them rust out. I don't think your clutch should be hitting the floor board when pushing it it. I know there is an adjustment linkage on the 85 3/4 tons that you could adjust. Check under the dash to see if you have one. I have been waiting for someone else to address this question that might have had a simular problem, but I figured you had waited long enough.<br><p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html
Old 01-06-2000, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

thanks eric--the problem area is not under thr clutch. the clutch pedal is connected to a rod that crosses over the brake and accelerator pedal. from there a rod goes down to the clutch master cyl on the floor board. this is where it punches out. happened twice...while I was driving! drove it all the way home the second time pulling the mowing trailer. what a trip, three on the tree and no clutch!<p>thanks for your response, keep your ears open on this one.<p>GEO
Old 01-06-2000, 08:06 AM

Geo, Is the clutch master cylinder moving? I know there is adjustment in that linkage in case the linkage is slipping out. I understand how the linkage works and can still picture it in my mind even though I don't have that truck anymore. What I'm not able to figure out is what you mean by the floor board punching out.<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html
Old 01-07-2000, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric I believe what he is mentioning is that the firewall/floorboard is tearing out where the clutch rod pivot point bolts to that area.<br>I have heard of this, but not sure of the fix. Perhaps a thicker piece steel that absorbs and transferes the stress over a larger area.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
Old 01-10-2000, 07:42 AM

Geo, the reason I asked if the clutch cylinder moves is you said it has happened twice. I figured the rod going to the cylinder had fallen out twice. I know the linkage can wear a nice little groves here and there and that makes for a shorter stroke when pushing in the clutch. That's why I suggested lengthening the adjuster to help keep it in place. If everything is moving a lot, what Dino suggested is a way to fix it too. A piece of plate steel in that area should help if you have room to get it in. <p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html
Old 01-10-2000, 04:17 PM
DonnieLawson

Yes, a plate of steel will solve your problem.
Old 01-14-2000, 09:07 AM

There you go Geo, sounds like a fix for your van.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>