Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1051  
Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Hoots's Avatar
Hoots Hoots is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DFW
Posts: 324
We all know that government run programs don't make sense.

The floral certificate for an applicator is merely another way for TDA to get another $75 for nothing. The reason I say nothing is the lack of enforcement I see for unlicensed applicators.

One area that needs the floral cert is an actual nursery because they apply chems in their greenhouses plus they are the grower. I don't understand why you and I need the cert to resell. Again there are plenty of companies that buy and resell flowers with no certificate.

The other wonderful thing about our business that most homeowners don't understand is the need to charge sales tax on everything, weekly mowing included.
__________________
TDA Commercial Licensed Applicator
Insured
Available for sub-contract fertilization, weed control, Fire Ants and other chemicals
Sub-contract Aerifying available too
Reply With Quote
  #1052  
Old 01-31-2009, 11:17 PM
outrunjason's Avatar
outrunjason outrunjason is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: dallas
Posts: 694
Yall see this? Is it affecting yall?

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...2.8289a8c.html

Jason
__________________
"It is what it is"

Reply With Quote
  #1053  
Old 02-01-2009, 12:51 AM
Turf Dawg's Avatar
Turf Dawg Turf Dawg is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gainesville Texas
Posts: 3,649
I might be wrong, but I thought the floral is what you are suppost to have to transport plants from the garden center to the clinet. I thought they said without it we are either suppost to have the customer pick up the plants [yea right] or have the nurshery deliver them.

BTW does anyone know if they offer classes with the test at the end of the class?
I heard the easiest way was to attend one of these classes. Well I went to FT Worth to the Turf Grass Assosiations winter conference because I heard they were offering the course for $90 and the price for each of the three test. When I got there I found out you have to be a member first and that was another $300. Well I did not have a extra $475 so I just went to the exhibit hall and left.

If anyone knows about the class' please let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #1054  
Old 02-01-2009, 01:18 AM
TXNSLighting's Avatar
TXNSLighting TXNSLighting is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 6,460
Never heard of that, i must of joined this convo late, but i dont have any floral thing to take plants from the nursery to the customer...and i do it often...i must of missed somethin.
__________________
Ryan

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Reply With Quote
  #1055  
Old 02-01-2009, 01:19 AM
TXNSLighting's Avatar
TXNSLighting TXNSLighting is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 6,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by outrunjason View Post
Yall see this? Is it affecting yall?

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...2.8289a8c.html

Jason
I just heard about that...Good thing it wont affect me! Im not that big yet. But if its still in effect after a couple years i may be screwed.
__________________
Ryan

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Reply With Quote
  #1056  
Old 02-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Hoots's Avatar
Hoots Hoots is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DFW
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
Never heard of that, i must of joined this convo late, but i dont have any floral thing to take plants from the nursery to the customer...and i do it often...i must of missed somethin.
Yeah the floral certificate was brought to my attention while working as an assistant superintendent with my noncommercial license. We we selected at random for a records and facilities audit and were informed that with our category 3A license we needed the floral certificate too. This came directly from a TDA inspector.

I think the biggest issue right now is the lack of information given directly to landscape contractors from TDA.

If anyone has questions about legality, go to the TDA website or send them an email. You are putting your business at risk if you don't get licensed to understand what and how you are spraying. The fines are not cheap.
__________________
TDA Commercial Licensed Applicator
Insured
Available for sub-contract fertilization, weed control, Fire Ants and other chemicals
Sub-contract Aerifying available too
Reply With Quote
  #1057  
Old 02-01-2009, 03:28 PM
FTAC99's Avatar
FTAC99 FTAC99 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Corinth, Texas
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post

BTW does anyone know if they offer classes with the test at the end of the class?
I heard the easiest way was to attend one of these classes. Well I went to FT Worth to the Turf Grass Assosiations winter conference because I heard they were offering the course for $90 and the price for each of the three test. When I got there I found out you have to be a member first and that was another $300. Well I did not have a extra $475 so I just went to the exhibit hall and left.

If anyone knows about the class' please let me know.

Check with county extension service. A few years ago, I took a class for my TDA License through their office in Fort Worth. It was a 3 day class with the tests admisitered on the last day.
Reply With Quote
  #1058  
Old 02-02-2009, 01:48 AM
Turf Dawg's Avatar
Turf Dawg Turf Dawg is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gainesville Texas
Posts: 3,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTAC99 View Post
Check with county extension service. A few years ago, I took a class for my TDA License through their office in Fort Worth. It was a 3 day class with the tests admisitered on the last day.
Thank you for the info. Do remember the cost for the classes? Oh yea, "GIG EM"
Reply With Quote
  #1059  
Old 02-02-2009, 01:54 AM
FTAC99's Avatar
FTAC99 FTAC99 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Corinth, Texas
Posts: 4
I want to say it was around $95/student, but I don't remember exactly. Then you had to pay the license fee to TDA the day of testing. I think that was $75. Those were the only fees associated with it.
Reply With Quote
  #1060  
Old 02-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Hoots's Avatar
Hoots Hoots is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DFW
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTAC99 View Post
I want to say it was around $95/student, but I don't remember exactly. Then you had to pay the license fee to TDA the day of testing. I think that was $75. Those were the only fees associated with it.
I am not sure on the testing fees but the price of the license you need is $180. You need the commercial license, register your business with TDA as an application or chemical spraying business(free), nursery and floral certificate $75, and have a minimum $100,000 general liability insurance policy.
__________________
TDA Commercial Licensed Applicator
Insured
Available for sub-contract fertilization, weed control, Fire Ants and other chemicals
Sub-contract Aerifying available too
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46 AM.

Page generated in 0.08832 seconds with 10 queries