Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We all know that government run programs don't make sense.

The floral certificate for an applicator is merely another way for TDA to get another $75 for nothing. The reason I say nothing is the lack of enforcement I see for unlicensed applicators.

One area that needs the floral cert is an actual nursery because they apply chems in their greenhouses plus they are the grower. I don't understand why you and I need the cert to resell. Again there are plenty of companies that buy and resell flowers with no certificate.

The other wonderful thing about our business that most homeowners don't understand is the need to charge sales tax on everything, weekly mowing included.
Sub-contract Aerifying available too
Old 01-31-2009, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yall see this? Is it affecting yall?

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...2.8289a8c.html

Jason

Old 02-01-2009, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I might be wrong, but I thought the floral is what you are suppost to have to transport plants from the garden center to the clinet. I thought they said without it we are either suppost to have the customer pick up the plants [yea right] or have the nurshery deliver them.

BTW does anyone know if they offer classes with the test at the end of the class?
I heard the easiest way was to attend one of these classes. Well I went to FT Worth to the Turf Grass Assosiations winter conference because I heard they were offering the course for $90 and the price for each of the three test. When I got there I found out you have to be a member first and that was another $300. Well I did not have a extra $475 so I just went to the exhibit hall and left.

If anyone knows about the class' please let me know.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Never heard of that, i must of joined this convo late, but i dont have any floral thing to take plants from the nursery to the customer...and i do it often...i must of missed somethin.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 02-01-2009, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrunjason View Post
Yall see this? Is it affecting yall?

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...2.8289a8c.html

Jason
I just heard about that...Good thing it wont affect me! Im not that big yet. But if its still in effect after a couple years i may be screwed.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 02-01-2009, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
Never heard of that, i must of joined this convo late, but i dont have any floral thing to take plants from the nursery to the customer...and i do it often...i must of missed somethin.
Yeah the floral certificate was brought to my attention while working as an assistant superintendent with my noncommercial license. We we selected at random for a records and facilities audit and were informed that with our category 3A license we needed the floral certificate too. This came directly from a TDA inspector.

I think the biggest issue right now is the lack of information given directly to landscape contractors from TDA.

If anyone has questions about legality, go to the TDA website or send them an email. You are putting your business at risk if you don't get licensed to understand what and how you are spraying. The fines are not cheap.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post

BTW does anyone know if they offer classes with the test at the end of the class?
I heard the easiest way was to attend one of these classes. Well I went to FT Worth to the Turf Grass Assosiations winter conference because I heard they were offering the course for $90 and the price for each of the three test. When I got there I found out you have to be a member first and that was another $300. Well I did not have a extra $475 so I just went to the exhibit hall and left.

If anyone knows about the class' please let me know.

Check with county extension service. A few years ago, I took a class for my TDA License through their office in Fort Worth. It was a 3 day class with the tests admisitered on the last day.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTAC99 View Post
Check with county extension service. A few years ago, I took a class for my TDA License through their office in Fort Worth. It was a 3 day class with the tests admisitered on the last day.
Thank you for the info. Do remember the cost for the classes? Oh yea, "GIG EM"
Old 02-02-2009, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I want to say it was around $95/student, but I don't remember exactly. Then you had to pay the license fee to TDA the day of testing. I think that was $75. Those were the only fees associated with it.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTAC99 View Post
I want to say it was around $95/student, but I don't remember exactly. Then you had to pay the license fee to TDA the day of testing. I think that was $75. Those were the only fees associated with it.
I am not sure on the testing fees but the price of the license you need is $180. You need the commercial license, register your business with TDA as an application or chemical spraying business(free), nursery and floral certificate $75, and have a minimum $100,000 general liability insurance policy.