Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2009, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Grassmechanic,

Can you post the study you are referring to? I have a couple concerns/questions with the limited data you provided.

Was the leaf mulch applied at same rate all 4 years?

Was there any fall or spring problems with smothering or disease?
Old 01-30-2009, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

With a little common sense large amounts of leaves can be mulched and turf quality, OM, worm populations can and do increase. Fertilizer, water requirements as well as thatch levels decrease . If you are supplementing synthetic fertilizer, blanket weedkiller applications, PreM's a different outcome is to be expected. I may mulch large volumes but always disperse these throughout the turf before and after mulching so turf is not buried in a blanket of leaves. If that is not sufficient I will bag the remainder for visual impact but volume actually removed is a fraction of the original volume.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
With a little common sense large amounts of leaves can be mulched and turf quality, OM, worm populations can and do increase. Fertilizer, water requirements as well as thatch levels decrease . If you are supplementing synthetic fertilizer, blanket weedkiller applications, PreM's a different outcome is to be expected. I may mulch large volumes but always disperse these throughout the turf before and after mulching so turf is not buried in a blanket of leaves. If that is not sufficient I will bag the remainder for visual impact but volume actually removed is a fraction of the original volume.
Exactly....I think that was James' point as well.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Can you post the study you are referring to? I have a couple concerns/questions with the limited data you provided.
I do have it somewhere. I'll try digging it out for you.
Was the leaf mulch applied at same rate all 4 years?
Yes. It was a 4 year study, but went on several years longer.
Was there any fall or spring problems with smothering or disease?
No smothering. Less snow mold.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 02-02-2009, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So, say I live on a corner property with 4 large oak trees, a maple, and a pretty consistent wind that blows neighbors leaves in the yard. The lawn is cleaned up at least 4 times in the fall. Now, your saying that if all the leaves were mulched, there would be no harm or smothering of any turf by the leaf mulch? I've seen it with my own eyes and on many other properties, but since you did a study, we're wrong? You obviously have an agenda here sir.
My only agenda is to offer education. We (MSU) gathered data from all over the country as to what a heavy leaf fall would be. 24" surpassed any leaf fall, including heavy oak forest land. You can do with the study whatever you want, including ignoring the simple fact that it can be done. There is a right and wrong way to properly mulch leaves. It looks like you've only been a witness to the wrong way. Put me on your ignore list.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 02-02-2009, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassmechanic View Post
Put me on your ignore list.[/B]
Thanks! Will do!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

SHOW ME THE STUDY!!!!

yeah that was cheese, what can you do.....
Old 02-02-2009, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassmechanic View Post
So, say I live on a corner property with 4 large oak trees, a maple, and a pretty consistent wind that blows neighbors leaves in the yard. The lawn is cleaned up at least 4 times in the fall. Now, your saying that if all the leaves were mulched, there would be no harm or smothering of any turf by the leaf mulch? I've seen it with my own eyes and on many other properties, but since you did a study, we're wrong? You obviously have an agenda here sir.
My only agenda is to offer education. We (MSU) gathered data from all over the country as to what a heavy leaf fall would be. 24" surpassed any leaf fall, including heavy oak forest land. You can do with the study whatever you want, including ignoring the simple fact that it can be done. There is a right and wrong way to properly mulch leaves. It looks like you've only been a witness to the wrong way. Put me on your ignore list.
Put the attitude away. I'm interested in learning more.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-05-2009, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Put the attitude away. I'm interested in learning more.
Then look it up youself.

Google "mulching leaves into lawn".
I found Cornell, OSU, MSU and Perdue's studies in a minute.