Register free!

Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Big box stores cheaper than wholesale

I went to McMinnville, Tn. this week to do some price checking. They claim to be the nursery capital of the world, so you would think their prices would be cheap. I told the owner I was interested in buying a large quantity of plants. He said because there were so many nursery's in the area that they all priced their plants at wholesale. Example, his price for a 3 gallon leyland cypress was $15 wholesale. Both of the "Big Box Stores" have them for $9.99 and give you a year guaranty. Apparently the bad economy has not affected the nursery business, and I don't know the definition of Wholesale. I realize they are not going to give me the same price as someone that buys hundreds of trailer loads but I would expect to buy them from the grower cheaper than I could Home Cheepo.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I have heard that home cheepo gets there nursery stock on consignment from the big growers, so they have no cash invested in it and only pay for it when it sells. Must be nice to be a big boy !
Old 02-08-2009, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
I have heard that home cheepo gets there nursery stock on consignment from the big growers, so they have no cash invested in it and only pay for it when it sells. Must be nice to be a big boy !
Yeah, but I think it going to come back and bite them in the butt. The growers are starting to realize they can't keep growing the numbers the big boys want, if they aren't going to sell.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

a 3-gallon leyland @ $15 is NOT wholesale. Wholesale (from a grower) would be more like in the $8 range. maybe a little more, maybe a little less, but DEFINATELY not $15--I'd laugh at my growers if they priced a LC for $15 in 3 gallon container. I've always paid about $7.50-$8.50 for 3g's. It's basically that same price across the board unless you get something like a camelia or japanese maple--or basically something that grows a good bit slower. That's what you're paying for anyways-their time (growing time). I've not even seen re-wholesle prices that high. Apparently that guy was BSing you-and I hope you shopped somewhere else. I can't quote McMinnville's prices, but was planning a trip up there REAL soon-so I hope you just got a bad grower, or my trip will be dissapointing for me as well-lol
Old 02-08-2009, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I checked with several nursery's while I was there, and all seemed very high. I at least expect to get a little more plant for the same money by going directly to the grower. I even stopped in at their Lowe's to double check. I came back empty.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

that's a shame; like I said, I was planning a next rainy day trip to McMinnville-I've always heard that is THE place for plants and B&B stuff-? I guess that's untrue?? I also heard that there are only a couple of the growers left-; I still think they were quoting you retail---that's more like a retail price than wholesale-esp. from a grower-! Did you show up in like a BMW or something?? A lot of times when I come in my pickup to places that don't know me they think I'm a homeowner-maybe that's the case??? It just doesn't make sense!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm curious as to which places you went to as well....if you don't mind, LMK-I'll visit them and post my results or via PM-if ya don't wanna post them, then PM them to me-
Old 02-08-2009, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd75760 View Post
I went to McMinnville, Tn. this week to do some price checking. They claim to be the nursery capital of the world, so you would think their prices would be cheap. I told the owner I was interested in buying a large quantity of plants. He said because there were so many nursery's in the area that they all priced their plants at wholesale. Example, his price for a 3 gallon leyland cypress was $15 wholesale. Both of the "Big Box Stores" have them for $9.99 and give you a year guaranty. Apparently the bad economy has not affected the nursery business, and I don't know the definition of Wholesale. I realize they are not going to give me the same price as someone that buys hundreds of trailer loads but I would expect to buy them from the grower cheaper than I could Home Cheepo.

don't think you know where to look, we can get 5 gallon leylands for $8.75. Here is a couple of links. Just have to look around. http://www.evinsmillnursery.com/redu...le.htm#Leyland or try this link to several growers.http://www.southeasternnursery.com/index2.shtml
Old 02-08-2009, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

HAHA-I KNEW I wasn't crazy-lol
Old 02-08-2009, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

FWIW that place looks a little high to me too-but like I said-I've always heard mcminnville is the place for B&B stuff