Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2009, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Organic Fertilization

Ok. I've been looking around, doing research and what have you. I'm looking to implement and offer an organic fertilizing program. I have been in contact with a company out of Vermont. I am having a tough time learning about organic fertilizing. Can anyone point me in the right direction and help me get started doing this? I feel very strongly about going organic. I just need help getting in the right direction. Thank you to everyone! Jeff
Old 02-07-2009, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

compost... yup compost... and the occasional high N preferably from a waste stream...
Old 02-07-2009, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

where are you from?
Old 02-07-2009, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Brew your own tea , save the $ its worth the little bit of setup and work
Old 02-07-2009, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

hes in campton NH,

worm casts and compost.............
Old 02-07-2009, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes I am in Campton, NH....so I should make my own stuff to spread on lawns and such around properties that I service? Is that what i'm getting out of this?
Old 02-07-2009, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

well, yes that or pay a profane amount of cash and let someone else bag up bio solids and chicken crap, old compost or whatever you want........
Old 02-08-2009, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Read this site - old posts lots of this hs been covered many times. Use the search feature. Plan on spending many hours going through old threads and you will start to get a feel for what you can do or would like to do but can't. Basically you may be able to make some of your own stuff or buy it. Too many options.

If you are cash poor then just find a local compost supplier and buy as you need it. For sure look into CT - good thread is going on right now with a potential new user. You can buy ICT or start your own for about $500 with a brewer from Tim Wilson - but with your own you will need a sprayer - So now your into at least 3K to start - but with ICT Organics you need about $350 in product and a $100 electric back pack sprayer and you are spraying good tea. I do both but others lean one way or another - they both have benefits. I buy compost cause I have a good source for a good price and I get it when I need it - and get paid quick. I fill up a wheel barrel and blow it out with a backpack blower. I buy mycorrhizae and add to tea or just add water and spray it on lawns and gardens. I top dress with humates - good supplier but I have to truck it in - this takes capital. I top dress with alfalfa and soy meals. But you have to find these suppliers most are local for me but I truck in the myco and humates. I have worms and make casts for my tea, I buy molasses from a store and kelp from a local organic supplier.

This works for me but maybe not for you that is the point you have to learn it and understand what will work and then how it can work for you. Many things work and everybody has their own way. Compost top dressing and a way to get tea on the ground and mycorrhizae is the best three things to start - and the 4th in my opinion would be some protein meals like soy/alpalfa.
But to make good tea you have to have fresh worm casts from someplace or use ICT. Hope this helps - buy "Teaming with Microbes" by Jeff Lowenfells (even though is is really spelled teeming) - from Amazon - this will get you up to speed quick.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you everyone! I have been reading a lot on this site, and I'm going to keep reading. Organic seems to be a new thing in my area, I haven't found anyone that does it, so i'm hoping to be the first! Thank you for all your help you guys are all great! Its just like plowsite, everyone willing to help one another!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I am not sure if they are involved with the States yet but we have a company here in Canada called Turf Revolution with courses and peletized compost, organics with no biosolids, animal components. They would be a great start for you. PM me if you need more info.