Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2002, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Shady Programs

I'm in the process of putting together a program for very shady lawns. I am going to include one overseeding with shade mix/starter fert in the spring, one summer app of 5-10-31, a fall/winter app of about 1 lb of nitrogen, and weed control year round . A second seeding in the fall will be optional. From talking to some friends and the guys at lesco, and doing a little research, I think that I want the yearly nitrogen to be around 2 lbs. What type of programs do you guys have?
Old 03-08-2002, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the idea of moderating N in the shade. Especially when the shade is caused by physical structures. Trees, while causing shade, also suck up a lot of your turf applied N so I wouldn't go too far.

The extra potash sounds good for increasing root densities which should help. Watch soil Ph to insure good Phosphorous availability.

Primo, the PGR, has been shown to conclusively improve shade tolerance. It does this by causing the turf to concentrate cholorplasts through the inhibition of gibberelic acid. Any GA inhibitor should yield the same results but Proxy hasn't much data published on it yet.

This link will take you to a Zoysia study in Missouri. Primo has helped.

http://agebb.missouri.edu/turf/report99/primo.htm

The following link summarizes the indoor turf grown at La Plata in Michigan. They've noted good results on Primos affect on Kentucky Bluegrass.

http://www.msu.edu/user/rogersj/laplata.html

This Australian study yielded the same improvements but included more species.

http://www.msu.edu/user/rogersj/laplata.html

I would also watch for and alleviate soil compaction to aid the turf. If tall trees are causing the shade, then the outward spread of roots will have cuased some soil compaction in their rootzones. This can be difficult to correct with an aerator without causing root injury to the trees, but it can be done carefully.

Certain foliar fungus diseases ravage turf grown in shade. Watch for any mildews or slime molds.

Bolster Plant Biostimulant was added to Primo in a shade study that I can't find to share with you. If it weren't for the Primo, Bolster, Iron, & Touche fungicide cocktail that I treat my own lawn with 3 - 4 times per year, I wouldn't have grass under the heady maples in my front yard.

Under damp soil conditions, Poa Trivialis is very shade tolerant. If the soil drains well then lean toward Creeping Red, Chewings, Hard, & Sheep Fescues.

Hope this helps

Steve
Old 07-14-2002, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Member

tremore, good reply....

lamb: how did the program work out for you?
anthony