Register free!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Huh?? inside joke? I missed it - Sayyyy itttt slowwwlyyyy.

No go tea in the rain is great - water is a great carrier for microbes - not a monsoon. Just a light rain - constant mist is the best.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccon31 View Post
up here you could probably skip the march app, depending on ground temps. sometimes its is still pretty cold until mid march.

most likely skip july and august, and push sept back to mid month. come to think of it, sept may be a good one for a sugar app.

phasthound- you agree?
i saw the post about possible uv rays and heat killing off some of the microbes...is there any other reason why not to spray compost tea during the hot summer months? i thought that when it is really hot like that it is actually a time when soil life is thriving because the soil is warm. also, the benefits of stress relief, disease prevention, etc...wouldn't this be a good time for applying it?

one other question i had is for those that are talking about putting 4-6 CT apps down. do you also put organic ferts or anything else down? is there enough food in the soils for these new batches of microbes to feed on or do you also need to put down some soybean, alfalfa, etc..meals to feed them?.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

tea without food is no good that's why bills has the food in the mix, but even then you need some tasty organic snacks for the little guys unless your soil is all OM and then its just tea.... that and mulch the clippings.....
Old 02-09-2009, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well you have clippings thats a given, protein meals (name your favorite crop - we use soy and alfalfa), humates, and compost. Our herds should have plenty to eat and the humates supply their condo.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

We have some sexy new tiny beasts ( I said beasts, I like small beasts) in our mix for this season from the Pseudomonadaceae family, these are free ranging nitrogen fixers and can supply up to 30% of the nitrogen needs for turf, pretty cool

what I really appreciate is that they produce large quantities of capsular slime. Very sexy, think warm and pulsing aggregation and porosity

woooo stand back !!!! it is TOOOOO hot
Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

do they form cysts?? or are these azomons