Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-15-2008, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Jacobsen HR-5111 transmission problem

Hello everyone, I just bought this HR-5111 at a auction, it has 3600 hours. I have run it maybe 2 hours max since I bought it. I bought all new filters for the oil, air, fuel, and hydraulic system, etc. and went today to change all that, but when I took off from the field, after about 50 feet, it started clunking under the seat and killed the engine. The pedal feels like the linkage is messed up, but I'm thinking it's internal. For a moment even though it's not suppose to start the engine without the brake on, I was able to start it and it drove forward till I shut it down (due to having no foot/speed control). It ran like a stick shift with the clutch out and turning the key to slowly start the motor... If anyone has any idea of where to go from here, it would be much appreciated. Also, a friend who runs the same machine at a city, tells me it's normal to have to rev the motor at least half way for the hydraulics to work when even lowering the deck?? Same experience with other owners?? Thanks for any advice/help!!
Old 10-16-2008, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check linkage first, change all filters -hydraulic- and flush all old fluid out--inspect for metal filings and color/smell(this will tell you alot about prior maintenance. Put fresh fluid in it. Start the machine, bleed any air out of hydro system. If machine will not move there should be a relief valve on the trans - inspect the breather and clean it thoroughly. The hydros are meant to run at high rpm. The pump may have been cavatating(air in line or clogged filter). try simple least expensive things first. Don't pannick. When I buy a used piece of equipment I do not run it until every fluid on the thing is changed and flushed. even the engine oil....Do not trust what others said about the maint history unless it is in writing by a tech. Good Luck
Old 10-16-2008, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow, that was a quick response, Thank You, I'll have to pay more attention with all aspects on this site! I'm hoping it is a linkage problem as you mentioned maybe holding the transmission in the "go" position since the foot pedal got a weird feel as well. I totally agree with you on all filters and fluids! This is what I was pulling it around to do... maybe if it just "clunked" out on me I saved the $100 or so bucks on oil, etc. I have been reading thru the manuals and found there is a relief valve to open when in need of towing as I did tonight. Thanks again for your time to reply!!
Old 10-16-2008, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, any time it is not running, and you want to move the machine make sure the relief valve is activated(pulled or pushed) or damage to hydro seals could occur. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Make sure the linkage isnt broken. On the older models they had problems with the linkages loosening up and breaking. Also all the 5111's have a bypass valve built into the hydraulic systems. The decks will only work unless the hydraulic pressure reaches a set pressure. That is why the decks dont raise or lower until you rev up the engine about half throttle.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I currently run two of those machines.I'm sorry but I never ran into that problem. I currentlly have aprox 2500 hours on both machines.
I'll talk to my mechanic tommorow and see if he can diginose the the problem.
Good luck
Old 02-02-2009, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

check the transmission end of the motion control linkage. there is a plate, clamped onto a shaft on the transmission. the older ones had a 1 piece clamp, which is prone to breakage. the newer part is a 2 piece deal, and is much better. I've had a few of those break, and they acted similar to what you describe.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

We have 4 of these units and run 3 all the time, i just got done repairing one with this similar problem. there is a plug where your feet rest, underneath that is a switch that tells the tranny to switch into 2nd and 1st, that switch could be bad and it causes the tranny to switch back and forth on its own. Its very tricky to adjust, so dont get frustrated. Also make sure the linkage from the foot pedal to that switch is nice and tight, there is a rod with two bushings that has a zerk that not too many people know about, so it tends to be sloppy and you wont be able to adjust that switch correctly. The best way to grease that one is with the front deck down and you go thru the front of the machine,

Tags
11' , hr5111 , hydraulics , jacobsen , transmission