Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2009, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

36 W/B Opinion Gravely vs. Exmark

I need to purchase a 36” mower for a crew that will use the mower for back up and only on a few jobs that require it (Fenced yards, hills where the bigger riders will not work) here are my choices. I have decided to go with a belt driven to save cost, I just think it’s dumb to have a $5000 hydro setting around 3-4 days a week.

I like the new Quick Dually 36 but have concerns on the quality of cut on zoyzia and Bermuda and no one other than the factory converts will give me an honest answer on the quality of cut while in the mulch mode on southern warm weather turf grasses. I also asked them if it was possible to cut on of the front height spacer (1/2") in half and they said "no we would have to re tool for that, so just get some washers and you can make it work) I really do not want to have to have a crew keep up with washers in the field if they need to make adjustments. So here is the choice:

Gravely 34 pro walk behind 13 hp Kaw $2399 Electric clutch, maint free front tire fixed deck (Shims)
Exmark Turf Tracer W/B 15hp Kaw $2999

I will run the mower with a mulch kit. Price is not a big issue, I just think for a part-time back up mower, we can buy 2 of the belt mowers for the price of one hydro. I know hydro is great, but the mower will really only be used a couple days a week!

Thank you in advance for you input.

Tommy Boy

“Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
Old 02-12-2009, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

No brainer save the money and get the gravely. Gravely makes great mowers and are very well built. I cant tell you how it would cut in warm season grass and I cant tell you how well it mulches because we dont mulch (matter of fact almost nobody mulches in this area) but on cool season grass side discharging gravely mowers cut very good.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 02-12-2009, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the gravely 1336 w/b and i love it. it cuts great and it would hold up to any beating you put it through. id go with the gravely hands down.

Tags
better outdoor , dually , exmark , gravely