Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2000, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fellow Lawnsite Members,<br>Hey everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone in the forum. My name is Tim.<br>I am from East Tennessee, and I am trying to get my start in the lawn care industry. It's something that I have always wanted to do, and now I'm in a position where I can get started. I have always loved mowers and mowing since I was about 3 years old. It's something that i've always found fun and relaxing. What I plan on doing, is buying equipment a little at a time, that way I can pay cash for everything and avoid a bank loan all together. By next spring, I should have everything I need to get started. I bought a 2000 Chevy Silverado back in January, so now I have something that will tow a trailer.<br>Now comes the equipment end of the equation. This tuesday, i bought a 92 Murray 12hp 38&quot; tractor from my friends mother, which i plan to use as a secondary rider. It is in pretty good condition, and i am working on it now to get it in shape. She had bought a new Murray rider in the Spring of 99, and this one has sat since the end of 98. Right now, I am putting new belts on, new blades, repainting the mower deck, sanding and repainting the wheels, and doing regular maitenance on the engine. After the mower had sat since the end of 98, we jumped it off my friend's mom's new murray and it started within 10 senconds! Not bad for $250 dollars, in my opinion.<br>I am going to buy a new Lawn tractor in the spring, but I am not sure what kind I will get, and price will be a factor. But I want to get a good machine. My family and I have always run Murrays, and have always been happy with them. I do know that i'll need something heavier for commercial use. If any of you here can share your opinions on what they think is a great Lawn Tractor without being overly expensive, that would help out a lot.<br>My business venture will be part time, being as i work full time at a newspaper as a Pressman. I would like to anywhere from 5-10 yards a week to start out, because I don't want to bite off more than i can chew. I just want a slow easy start, then adapt as my business grows. When i do get big enough, i have a good friend that wants to help me out. He's a good worker, and i think he will serve me well.<br>A long time friend of mine has a very successful full service lawn care business about 30 miles from me. I've talked with him on the phone, and he and i are going to get together soon and talk over the fundamentals of the business, such as bookkeeping, bidding jobs, and any other general questions that i might have. I'm pretty anxious to get down there and see him. As far as this forum goes, i've learned a lot from reading all the posts. I'm really glad that i happened apon this site, and enjoy visiting it each day. Today, i decided to become a member in hopes that i can gain even more knowledge of the business. I'll make periodic posts and let you all know about my progress. It's a pleasure to be here! <p>Sincerely,<br>Tim