Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2000, 10:32 PM

I did a lawn reno three weeks ago,, grass came up fine and then died. In some areas where I had added several inches of new topsoil to fill low spots the grass is doing fine. Turns out that the lawn has been treated for weeds for many years. drought/grubs had done in the old turf, noting was growing when I did the reno except for nutsedge. Still nothing growing except where the new soil is several inches thick. Customer isn't blaming me, we're both just looking to get him a decent lawn back.
Old 06-29-2000, 08:44 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Barricade will hamper spring germination if<br>applied in the fall but the seedling would have not even sprouted if that was the case.<p>What I have found if a &quot;certain&quot; national<br>liquid urea applicator has been on the turf for a few years the lawns are in terrible<br>shape and the homeowner wants you to pickup the pieces. Usually the bluegrass lawns are so full of thatch they are in such poor shape<br>renovation is not possible under certain conditions.<p>Try calling your local AG extension office.
Old 06-29-2000, 09:31 AM

It just so happens that the certain national operator (TG/C) just happens to be the one who has been treating this lawn for years past. Absolutely NOTHING growing there except for where I pur several inches of new topsoil, not even weeds. That's what steers me to thinking chemical residue. I'm playing machine tag with the UVW Extension Service turf expert now. This sucker is hitting me in the pride and I'm gonna find out what is wrong, one way or another.
Old 06-29-2000, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Try just one thing. Spade up a spot about a foot deep and let it air out for a week without leveling or smoothing. Then smothe and reseed the spot and see if anything comes up. Sometime the is a layer of crap down deep. I have seen yards that would not grow that had a layer of sand or gravel down deep. Just a thought.
Old 06-29-2000, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

If there is chemical residue in the soil the easy solution is to spray with activated charcoal. Try tilling in to a small area and coming back after a week and and seeding. I had problems years ago with Treflan contamination in lawn areas near shrub beds.<p>Solution was to mix activated charcoal with water and spray it on the areas and till it in. Wait at least a week, make sure it gets watered in and then go about planting the turf seed.<p>Hope this helps!!!!!!!!