Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-22-2002, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

education

Hi fellas,
I had a question. I am 18 years old and have been working in this business for 5 years now. i want to go to college and go into the field for a career, but i have some questions. I want to own/operate a nursery and landscape installation company, that also has a lawn care division as well. I am confused as to what type of degree I should get. Should i go towards turf grass, or landscape management, and I am also thinking of design work and taking a degree in landscape archiecture. which way should I go???

thanks
Old 07-22-2002, 06:25 PM
Banned

I would suggest that you look into a degree in horticulture. That would be better suited to the whole nursery part. However if you want to get into the landscape installation aspect of the industry... I would suggest that you look into a degree in landscape contracting. In that major you can take classes in turfgrass management. Also you will be taught about bugs and diseases which will help you in your nursery business. Along with that of course you will learn the different plants (botanical and common names). I am not too sure where you are intending to go to school... however check out www.umass.edu/stockbridge very well known school with a GOOD reputation. Many of the professors are WELL known in their fields, have written books, etc. You can switch after 2 years in any major to Landscape Architecture. Just something to think about.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

and a second major or minor in business
Old 07-22-2002, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in the same boat as you. I began at age 13 and attended UConn for landscape design. Based on your 'goals', I would not recommend design, but hort. as someone said above. I would also look into Nursery Management, especially if you wish to go that route. While you are in school, you can always add classes such as Turfgrass, and Woody Ornamentals. I would pursue a degree in Horticulture, with a minor in Nursery Management. Once you learn the basics, the design aspect will take care of itself

UConn has a very good program for all of the above. It began as a horticultural school.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:20 PM
Banned

Ken, how is the hort program over at UCONN? I do / did work for a woman who has a degree in hort from there. She doesn't really use it as she is a congresswoman now. However she does have some pretty nice gardens at the house.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i was looking at turf management. or golf course systems. don't you think if i got the turf management one i would be pretty marketable? or is the concenses still horticultur
Old 07-23-2002, 02:30 AM
Banned

I would have to say from experience that unless you are planning on becoming a super / assistant super on a golf course, manager or sports turf, or other HIGH maintenance turf. That getting a degree in turfgrass management is overkill. If you are doing home lawns it is overkill. Most of the information that will be given to you will be useless when you get to home lawns. For residential work... a degree in landscape contracting / arboriculture / horticulture would probably be your best bets. I've known people who have done the LC degree and it serves them well. I know several people with degrees in Arboriculture and it serves them VERY well. I have done the Turfgrass thing and it is overkill.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would agree (though not from specific personal experience) that a horticulture degree would serve you well. YOu can always supplement with addtional certificates in areas of study that you'll need - such as PLCAA's Certified Turgrass Professional for additional turf management education.

If you're going to go in business for yourself, I'll second HBFOX's opinion that a business minor is important. You're in business to be in business. Obviously you need to know your product - but you also need to know how to run a business, which will be your primary job responsibility.

You can further develop your education through seminars, continuing education and selective classes to bone up areas that you feel you need additional info on.