Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2009, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Holy crap. I'm so tired of these stupid assed threads about this same subject. I can buy an Echo from Home Depot without a problem. My dealer is never going to have to work on or service my trimmer anyway!!!!!!! If you can't work on an Echo or replace a part on an Echo, then I suggest a different line of work. They are so easy to deal with it's almost ******ed. When I have a part break or when I need something for an Echo product I own, I go down to the dealer and get the part. My dealer laughs his ass off at guys who bring their Echo's in for work. He says it's the easiest money he makes. I am normally in agreement with people who say that you need good dealer support for equipment, but if we are talking Echo, no dealer support needed. Just keep some common parts in stock and enjoy the AC.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallimeca View Post
No truth to that statement at all. Both of them carry home owner grade trimmers.

And no, I don't consider an Echo SRM230 a true commercial model.

SRM 265's and up.

You are right!! The Home Depot model is fine for the homeowner. If you want high quality commercial grade Echo machines see a true dealer. I'd also ask about the service turn around time and possible loaner if anything takes too long. Personally, we do most of our own service to save the time it takes to make the trip to the dealer. If it's a warranty thing with cost..then the dealer gets it.
Some dealers will negotiate too. Home Depot won't. We usually buy about 6 trimmers at a time and get pretty decent pricing that way. You could always get other "friendly" competitors that may need one also to work a "quantity" discount!
Worth a try...

If you don't like my opinion...go around back for another view.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I noticed at my local HD the srm210 is $20 more then the dealer. My big mouth told the dealer... hope they didnt raise thier price now. lol.

A bunch of websites that all forward to www.FargoSnow.com

where are the real business growth experts? I know you are here reading and keeping tabs on the industry. PM me...
Old 02-27-2009, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Home depot won't take care of all your needs like your local dealer will
Old 02-27-2009, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah

Quote:
I noticed at my local HD the srm210 is $20 more then the dealer. My big mouth told the dealer... hope they didnt raise thier price now. lol.
That happened across the board last year on the srm210 and gt200r. I think most dealers took their stuff earlier than depot and there was a price increase. Prices on these were back down again but it depends on when you ordered them in...........

I think the reality is that home depot realized you don't make much money on those particular model and needed to raise the prices to make it worth it to sell.........
Old 02-28-2009, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallimeca View Post

I think the reality is that home depot realized you don't make much money on those particular model and needed to raise the prices to make it worth it to sell.........
If most people knew the mark up on this equipment they would rethink the idea that the dealer is getting rich selling it.

I have become friends with my dealer and he showed me the price he pays just to get the equipment in. He is making a whopping $15 on an FS-55 and a max of $80 on a BR-600

Not too much money when you think that Stihl is also charging them shipping on equipment sent to the store. Echo does not and I am not too sure about other brands but Stihl charges for everything they do!

Echo send promo material: i.e. Hats and Tee-shirts for free... Stihl makes the dealer buy an entire case and charges them $6 a piece to get them.

Dealers are not killing it on this stuff, it is the service afterwards that helps keep them going and buying from a competitor is a kick in the teeth to them.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer View Post
If most people knew the mark up on this equipment they would rethink the idea that the dealer is getting rich selling it.

I have become friends with my dealer and he showed me the price he pays just to get the equipment in. He is making a whopping $15 on an FS-55 and a max of $80 on a BR-600

Not too much money when you think that Stihl is also charging them shipping on equipment sent to the store. Echo does not and I am not too sure about other brands but Stihl charges for everything they do!

Echo send promo material: i.e. Hats and Tee-shirts for free... Stihl makes the dealer buy an entire case and charges them $6 a piece to get them.

Dealers are not killing it on this stuff, it is the service afterwards that helps keep them going and buying from a competitor is a kick in the teeth to them.

With Echo as long as they meet the "minimum order" shipping is free. It is that way with most suppliers. I would think Stihl would have some kind of similar program.

A bunch of websites that all forward to www.FargoSnow.com

where are the real business growth experts? I know you are here reading and keeping tabs on the industry. PM me...
Old 02-28-2009, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer View Post

Finally, somebody that knows what they are talking about!

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

You can buy any the same Echo products from Home Depot, that you can buy from a local dealer. Home Depot does service on them also. They are sent out to a service location and have a one week turn around.The higher end blowers, weedwakers and stick edgers are special order only and take 7 days to come in. Like what was said before there is not much mark up on them.The money comes from add on sales, like oil, trimer line , gas cans...Home depot will take them back also with in the first 30 days for what ever reason too. If you dont like it or "forgot to mix oil in the gas"and it will not start. Try to get a local dealer to take a trimer or blower back after it has been used.. Will not happen because they only making 20 or so bucks off it to start with. If they take just one back because someone didnt mix oil in the gas they will be takng a $200 or so hit....It is what it is
Old 02-28-2009, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only thing that i can say is "SUPPORT THE LOCAL DEALERS!!!". Even if the local dealer dosen't have that model and you can wait a little bit i would just order it!!!
6x12 Road King open trailer
Exmark Metro 48
Toro Proline 36 Belt Drive
Lawn Boy 21" commercial 2 stroke
Toro commercial 21"
Redmax EBZ 80001 BP
Redmax EBZ 8500 BP
Redmax CHT 2300 Hedge Trimmer
Redmax BCZ 2610 trimmer
Stihl BG 55
8 HP Push Blower

Solo Operation