Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just get it from the dealer. Much better to support the local man rather than a big corporation. As for the $279 SRM-230 model, it's a great commercial grade trimmer, and will last for years and years. The SRM-230's are very heavily used in my area, alongside the Stihl FS 80 and FS 110. I would recommend it highly (although the Stihl FS 80 is alot lighter and has more power). The Echo's do have a much nicer feel than the Stihl's, just my opinion though. As for the comment about Echo's being extremely simple to work on, it's very true. Try all the commercial brands out (they are all very highly reliable if maintained when it comes down to it), and pick the one you like the best. For me, I don't like the Shindaiwa's and RedMax's that I have because their shafts are sloped down short, and aren't suited for taller people like Echo's and Stihl's, which have a higher angle on their shafts. Just get what you like.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshcut419 View Post
You can buy any the same Echo products from Home Depot, that you can buy from a local dealer. Home Depot does service on them also. They are sent out to a service location and have a one week turn around.The higher end blowers, weedwakers and stick edgers are special order only and take 7 days to come in. Like what was said before there is not much mark up on them.The money comes from add on sales, like oil, trimer line , gas cans...Home depot will take them back also with in the first 30 days for what ever reason too. If you dont like it or "forgot to mix oil in the gas"and it will not start. Try to get a local dealer to take a trimer or blower back after it has been used.. Will not happen because they only making 20 or so bucks off it to start with. If they take just one back because someone didnt mix oil in the gas they will be takng a $200 or so hit....It is what it is
I work at depot part time and would never guaranty anything in 1 week it is possible and my store does send out to a relible repair shop.

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 02-28-2009, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Your right RGM should not guarantee 1 week turn around but if they have the parts to fix it they should be able to. Most of the time its just carb work for bad gas..I try to buy from my local dealer in town. I have had drop stuff off for repairs in the morning and had it fixed by lunch time. In the mean time there telling the home owners it will be 3 week before they look at there stuff.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go with a dealer if possible!
Old 03-01-2009, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshcut419 View Post
Your right RGM should not guarantee 1 week turn around but if they have the parts to fix it they should be able to. Most of the time its just carb work for bad gas..I try to buy from my local dealer in town. I have had drop stuff off for repairs in the morning and had it fixed by lunch time. In the mean time there telling the home owners it will be 3 week before they look at there stuff.
That's the way it is if you have good relationship with a Dealer you can get it fixed quick

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 03-01-2009, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Buying from a dealer = better lont term relationship! Will even get your dumb questions now and again!

Tommy Boy

“Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
Old 03-02-2009, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a Echo trimmer from Home Depot and it works very well. I like it a lot.
I try to buy from a dealer. I like to support the small shop. But having said that I think buying from a dealer is a little over rated. Like one of the other post said Home Depot if the thing breaks will just give you a new one. No dealer around here will do that. The HD close to me has a tool rental and they have guys who service the rental equipment. In my experience, if I do have a problem, they will ask me to have the guy in rental look at it. If he can't fix it right then, Give me a new one. Can't complain about that. Officially they have a 30 day return but are very relaxed on that. Now If my unit is over a year old they won't do that but a dealer wont take anything back the day you purchased it.
Again my experience.

On a related note we had a large JD dealer. They were very well known to tell you to take a hike if you needed service on a JD purchased from Home Depot. JD walked in one day at that dealer and pulled their dealership.
They had been a JD dealer for years. Like over 30 or 40 years.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you have a dealer, and they have the item for the same price, then I would definitely buy it from the dealer. But if you don't have a dealer (this is what it sounds like) then yes, buying from Home Depot is ok. They have a great store, they just don't have a service department to fix what they sell.
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 03-02-2009, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought mine from Home Depot and have never had a problem. I'm not saying that buying from the local man is not the way to go but I try to do all of my repairs myself, so a dealer does not do a whole lot for me. Maybe when I get bigger a dealer will help but for now it is parts online and repairs in my garage!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeScape View Post
the problem with the Echo equipment sold at the hope depot is not the quality...IT'S THE WARRANTY SERVICE. ...
Yeah, ECHO is a good machine but it's the service if you need it repaired !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB