Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2008, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've thought about this many times....
Fact is if I could do it over again we're talking about going back way further than this

Like, say high school days, 20+ years ago for me.
Yes sir...

Now in terms of changes, one does have to realize the Yin and Yang of it all too,
so the changes themselves wouldn't be but so drastic and there would only be
but so many, however there are decisions I made that I would either not make,
or make them different today.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

1. Started sooner, I was 22

2. Bought a house I could of kept my equipment at.

3. Not bought so many new cars a few years back and used the capital for the business.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In order to make significant changes, I'd need to be born to some brilliant, wealthy parents
Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyVette View Post
In order to make significant changes, I'd need to be born to some brilliant, wealthy parents
good point ...........
Old 01-23-2009, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

#1. Don't buy equipment on impulse....do a little more research

#2. Get better at selling a job (ex/ getting the customer excited so they feel confident about your work and feel better about parting with their hard earned money) Word of mouth is by far the best advertising you can get but you have to get some good work first! Too many times I just couldn't find the right words.

#3. Get help earlier! (workers, financial adviser, marketing adviser, etc...)

I know I may get some eye rolls with this one but I am a part time business. I have nothing but the greatest respect for you full timers. This is a difficult business to start from scratch, as said above with using $10k equipment for $35.00 a shot is tough. Things don't last forever and things also need to be fixed.
Being part time has allowed me to get the equipment paid off without worrying about putting food on the table or keeping the roof on my head. I can't imagine what a drought feels like for a full time mowing company that charges per cut (instead of a contract). If I had a chance to give minor hint of advice is to find customers that work for you. I have people that tell me to charge them more(even when I am higher priced than everyone else) and plenty that give some large tips when a job is completed. Quality can pay off and establishing a relationship with a customer makes them feel that they are not just another check off the list. I guess being part time may enable me to do this.

I guess we must choose one of two things in this and any business venture.

Learn from our mistakes, make changes, and continue with success

or

Drown in our mistakes, keep making those mistakes, and ultimately fail

Good luck to everyone for 2009.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Member

This has been a very enlightening thread for me; I just wish there were more posts in it!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread, I've written your responses down, and as this is being written before my business is even started (this is my first post, even!), I hope I'll be able to remember what I've learned here.

Can y'all recommend I purchase that packet of information at lawncaresuccess.com?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph84 View Post
This has been a very enlightening thread for me; I just wish there were more posts in it!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread, I've written your responses down, and as this is being written before my business is even started (this is my first post, even!), I hope I'll be able to remember what I've learned here.

Can y'all recommend I purchase that packet of information at lawncaresuccess.com?

If you don't know much about running a business it can be helpful. It's A LOT more than just buying mowers, trailer, and a truck and just saying "I love to work outdoors". It's an informative packet that has good information in it just like any business book out there. Don't just get it for the estimate sheets and letters. READ ALL OF IT. No matter how many templates you have you still need to be able to put food on the table and a roof over your head. When you are not working you need to read up on lawns, landscaping, and whatever else you can to be able to answer someones questions (unless you are a master at all of this). If you don't know answers tell them you will find out and get back to them not just the "I don't know" with a blank stare into space look. I am not a business guru or know-it-all and probably will never be, however, this is a service industry and you need to be able to service your customers whether it be the work itself, questions they have, or handling new calls and emails. Sorry for the rant.

Good Luck!
Old 03-02-2009, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

1. study in school
2. study in school
3. get a real job

That is my list if I could start over ...
Old 03-02-2009, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.G LAWNCARE View Post
1. study in school
2. study in school
3. get a real job

That is my list if I could start over ...

You can always go back
Old 03-02-2009, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To old , to dumb , to lazy and don't wanna work for anybody!