Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2009, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pete

I have a real problem with Rittenhouse up selling Galvanized fitting connected to Brass hose barbs. That spells Rust to me in capital letters. I am not going to explain catatonic reactions to make my point but this wasn't done by an educated person.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Pete

I have a real problem with Rittenhouse up selling Galvanized fitting connected to Brass hose barbs. That spells Rust to me in capital letters. I am not going to explain catatonic reactions to make my point but this wasn't done by an educated person.
Ric,

Yeah I saw that upgrade and thought WOW, it won't break as easy but jeez whats up with the galvanized and brass. If someone wanted to go that route, surly expect to have a spare on hand as that would be as good as welded with the reactions you discribe.

Shame they have crap too. There customer service though for me has been 100% so far in the past. Perhaps they will see this and use better materials.

Pete
Old 03-04-2009, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello All

re: Galvanized fittings

We have been using some galvanized fittings on spray equipment for decades. After a while you may get some rusting. This happens after years of use, not weeks of use. Clearly the best material is brass or stainless steel but the cost can be prohibitive.

The reason we chose galv. for this assembly is to offer something that will not easily break or crack. We have sold many of those assemblies (its only been on our website for a year now) and have had zero reports of any problems. So if you have installed it, do not worry. Someday, way into the future you might find a little bit of rust clogging your nozzles, then its time to replace those fittings again.

Hope that clears up the issue.

--------------------------------------------------

We are always glad to get feedback on our equipment, parts and service and are very happy to answer any questions.

Lawnsite rules, I send people here everyday. Its the wealth of information and the experience in the trade of the posters that makes this place great. Hope you all have a successful season.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@rittenhouse View Post
Hello All

re: Galvanized fittings

We have been using some galvanized fittings on spray equipment for decades. After a while you may get some rusting. This happens after years of use, not weeks of use. Clearly the best material is brass or stainless steel but the cost can be prohibitive.

The reason we chose galv. for this assembly is to offer something that will not easily break or crack. We have sold many of those assemblies (its only been on our website for a year now) and have had zero reports of any problems. So if you have installed it, do not worry. Someday, way into the future you might find a little bit of rust clogging your nozzles, then its time to replace those fittings again.

Hope that clears up the issue.

--------------------------------------------------

We are always glad to get feedback on our equipment, parts and service and are very happy to answer any questions.

Lawnsite rules, I send people here everyday. Its the wealth of information and the experience in the trade of the posters that makes this place great. Hope you all have a successful season.
Hi Robert,

Thank you for actually listening to what the guys in the field actually have to say.

I agree that there is some good knowlege here on this site.

Keep up the great Service!

Pete
Old 03-04-2009, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Okay, here's the layout of a Lesco Space Saver.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2009, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Robert: could you clarify the discrepancy between the Rittenhouse specs for the D30 vs. what Hypro claims?

Your D30 is the real thing, right? (And not an 8 year old never-sold unit, by the way)... ??????

Thanks!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Robert

Nice of you to address my concerns. Kudos to Rittenhouse for being on the ball.

True straight insecticide and water will not rust Galvanize quickly and it can hold up for years. However Add a little Potash (potassium) and some Nitrogen to the mix and you sure speed up the process. It all has to due with the chemistry of ion movement from an positive (galvanize) to a negative (Brass). Multi-million dollar boats have sunk at the dock because of this type of plumbing. I have seen Pesticide tanks break lose spilling what the EPA considers hazards material, requiring Chemtech clean up crews at great cost.

I would never use Galvanized fitting because Murphy's Law is a friend of mine and it will break at the most inopportune time.

I strongly advise you to reconsider this Item as not being the best product to sell. Or to put a warning about using it for any saline material. I do find Nylon fitting to hold up better than PVC at a cost factor lower than SS, brass or even galvanize

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
Robert: could you clarify the discrepancy between the Rittenhouse specs for the D30 vs. what Hypro claims?

Your D30 is the real thing, right? (And not an 8 year old never-sold unit, by the way)... ??????

Thanks!!!

Absolutely, the real thing. Feel free to call Hypro and ask about us.

The problem with the D30 stats ..... are you ready for the long story???? The pump is made in Italy by AR. Hypro imports them and re-labels them with the brand "Hypro". The way I understood the name of the pump is that the "30" part of the D30 name stands for 30 liters per minute. So when you transfer that to US gallons, and you transfer it to Imperial gallons its going to provide 2 different numbers. Hence the 8.5 and the 9.5 numbers.

Today when I heard you were having this discussion, I jumped on AR's website in Italy ... and they say the flow is 34 liters per minute. So now I am completely confused.

Then I looked it up in older Hypro catalogs that I have kicking around my desk and found that 3 years ago Hypro said the pump was 8.5, and that is what we put on the website. Then I look in this years Hypro catalog it says 9.5.

So, apparently nobody is sure what the flow rate actually is..... or its a moving target.

But I guarantee, if you buy a D30 from Rittenhouse you are getting the real thing, a Hypro D30 in a Hypro box, a Hypro serial number, a Hypro guarantee and Rittenhouse backing it all up.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
Okay, here's the layout of a Lesco Space Saver.
Nice Pics Whoop.

From Regulator back to filter, is the Bypass from the Pump. The way Lesco/Cub Cadet plumbed it back into the Suction line is unfavorable design flaw IMO and will cause Cavation issues which will put unneeded extra stress on the Diaphrams. Remove 1/2' nipple and plug the hole near the filter, and reroute a longer hose to a Bulkhead and mount near the other 2 bulkheads on TOP of the tank.

The return line from the pressure side of the pump, I like as the jet agitation is adjustable.........But the Bypass from the Pump can never have any restrictions between the pump and Tank.

Before pulling the Trigger on a new D-30 you may want to change out the Diaphrams one last time and re-plumb as I suggest.......As well as change the Suction Filter to a 26 Mesh.

I think you won't have any trouble the season with the 403 with this upgrade.

Pete
Old 03-04-2009, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Absolutely, the real thing. Feel free to call Hypro and ask about us.
Thanks for the feedback, that's terrific!! I'll be ordering shortly.

One more question, if I may: will this unit that is in the pictures allow me to directly mate one of your D30's to the gear box and motor? Ric says yes... but his Alzheimers is so severe that I never know whether it's safe to trust him or not.