Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-06-2009, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnsac View Post
you're better of to go golfing and enjoy your afternoon than work for free. forget her!

Amen to that. I've got stuff to do around my OWN house rather than work for nothing or worse take on a job at a loss just to "get into the neighborhood"

Those things never work as a neighbor sees you there and then simply asks your customer what they're paying.... forget making your money off the "other" accounts in that neighborhood.

I was "stupid" enough 20 yrs ago to try that.... I should write a manual detailing all the mistakes I made over the years!

But that's what got us to where we're at today.... somehow!
Old 03-06-2009, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferhaus View Post
Amen to that. I've got stuff to do around my OWN house rather than work for nothing or worse take on a job at a loss just to "get into the neighborhood"

Those things never work as a neighbor sees you there and then simply asks your customer what they're paying.... forget making your money off the "other" accounts in that neighborhood.

I was "stupid" enough 20 yrs ago to try that.... I should write a manual detailing all the mistakes I made over the years!

But that's what got us to where we're at today.... somehow!

amen to that brother. BUT if i was dying to get into a neighborhood (say it was a well off development) i would maybe give them a better price if i knew they were the type to spread the word contagiously, and my quality of work would show for itself. i also would be sure to emphasize they are getting a special deal, and that their price should be between them and me only.

or a simpler solution, tell them you will knock 5 bucks off their lawn a week, to put a nice sized, classy sign in their yard by the road. then target market poor lawns in the neighborhood with door hangers.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I bid lawns like I don't really "need" them. That way in my head I can say if I'm going to make this stop & mow, I'm going to be paid what it's worth. That makes it easy to give the price. I don't bargain and if they don't sign up I say good day and get back in the truck.If you get the job good ,if not you're only out the time for the stop and bid. Not a weekly loss and headache.