Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2009, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Turf Problem Question

What is causing these black spots in the turf? The lawn is a blugrass/fescue turf from Suffolk County, NY.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are these photos recent? I am thinking you guys are having some daytime temps around the 40's on average right now, correct? This is really not all that uncommon. In time when you get some warmer temps, around the 70's and high 70's, look closely for any mycelium growth on the leaves (it will look like mildew or cobwebs and visible when the grass is wet - but disappears when it dries). I can't tell without any close up pics, but my guess would be perhaps the remnants of Grey Snow Mold. There are two types of snow mold...Pink (the most common), and Grey. Pink is the worse of the two, as it affects the crown of the plant - not just the leaf. It is also known as "Fusarium Patch" (not to be confused with Fusarium Blight - an older term now known as necrotic ring spot). The Gray, only affects the leaf itself. It is usually a witish gray color, but has tiny black mycelium areas in it, that can at times cause the overall appearance of it to look a sort of blackish color. Many times, it looks almost as if smeone sprayed over the area with a flat black spray can. In this case, I am leaning toward Gray.
This can be treated with various fungicides labeled for these conditions, but I do not recommend it - especially for small cases like this. In the vast majority of cases, it can be treated by simply raking out the area to encourage drying and air circulation. In a rather short time, the grass will recover and come back just fine, and save you a whole lot of money and headache. I hope this helps. It is rather early in the season for me to be getting so "technical", and I thank you for the "intellectual stimulating" question...this helps me get warmed up and get the wheels turning. But now, my head has started hurting a bit , so if you don't mind, I am signing off now. Again,...I hope this helps!

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

hmmmm.... what he said! lol
Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if it is , dont water it at all make sure your irrigation is off
Old 03-10-2009, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input. Yes, these photos were taken two days ago. However, this stuff appeared in this one section back in the fall before any snow. It does not seem to have spread and back in the fall this same black stuff was on some leaves that were in the same area.

The lawn is on an incline that faces south with no trees.