Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2009, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Odd bids

This is how i bid large jobs.
1. How many acres of this can I mow per hour?
2. How much will my machine costs be (fuel, maintenance, breakdowns, replacement) on this job per machine hour?
3. How much will labor cost me per machine hour?
4. How much stuff will I inevitably tear up on this job?
5. How many sites are there and what will be the travel time vs. what do I want to bill my truck and labor out at per mile?
6. What is my personal "uh-oh" factor? I go 15% as an uh-oh cushion.

Hope that helps you
Old 02-15-2009, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good post godflesh. As with ANY bidding, it really depends on your overhead, and your capabilities. Can I as a company make money off $20 acre for WAM? Absolutely. Would I charge that little... no. I do believe if your asking these types of questions your not even close to being ready to bid on that type of work. Someone will come in with some 455 or 580D's and blow your socks off. Send you running home with your tail between your legs.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 02-15-2009, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Good post Godflesh - It's often discussed in the posts the pricing strategies each LCO utilizes. If a LCO is making 20-25 dollars per acre that means they are a very large LCO mowing multiple acres at a time. That same LCO is not going to mow 1 single acre at 20 dollars per. With that said you need to have a little more experience to understand the dynamics of pricing and maintaining commercial properties. Start out small - think and grow big. Business classes always help.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have to understand though,...most of this is wide area mowing. This can be done at a rate of around 3.5 - 4 acres an hour with a 60" deck. This isn't full out at 10 mph, and this is at 80% efficiency - accommodating for overlap and turn around time. You figure 20 bucks an acre, you are grossing around 70 to 80 dollars an hour . That isn't all bad. The guys that posted from aroiund here are right on pricing. Much of it for instance that would be around 20 acres, goes for around 20 bucks per acre. More than 20 acres, it starts to go down. I've seen it as low as 10 to 12 an acre (school system), BUT the guy that did this had equipment to do this...he had WAM mowers batwing driven by H2B workers.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionlawn4u View Post
Really depends the mowing conditions what you are mowing with and how often. But usually around 17 to 25 per acre.
This is wrong i mow in your town and all over this area and i have sevreal townships contracts and i get $40.00 and up to $60.00 an acer dep's on the trimming!
Old 02-18-2009, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I also mow in michigan and i would agree that between 40 and 60 an acre.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burge19 View Post
I also mow in michigan and i would agree that between 40 and 60 an acre.
It was down here last few years too, but this year less than 20 is more like it. One contract I saw went for 7k less than previous years of cutting this twp., and get this, the amount of grass said to be mowed was increased this time out for bid and it still was 7k less.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

maverick

20 sounds a bit low we usually get 35 an acre