Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-10-2009, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holleys Landscaping View Post
There is not square foot figure given. This is a whole packet stuff to bid, like mowing, fertilizing, edging...But that helps ill just have to visit Home Depot and get some figures. oh and the soil is all clay around here (as far as I know), so it's going to be a pita to get that soil real perty
Then don't forget Gypsum for the clay.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

depends on size of bed, are you going to use mini nuggets ? what types of flowers? mushroom compost? till existing bed? ammendments? and last but not least 8 " ceter or 12 " centers on spacing good luck...first you need to measure the size of your annual beds then go from there .. why use home depot?dont you have a nursery close by?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I do, but I am pretty positive that they dont have compost. They have topsoil, mulch...But dont have the required products to ammend the soil. Also at Home Depot or any store, Ill just look at the amount of sq ft a 50lb bag covers and that should be the same for 50lbs anywhere including the nursery if they have it. Also, the account just wants a sf price so they decide one day that they need a flower bed somewhere they can estimate what it will cost. oh and another thing, the flowers are seperate, they arent included in the sf price. Thanks
12' TRAILER
8' TRAILER
ARIENS SNOWTHROWER
STIHL EQUIPMENT
ECHO EQUIPMENT COVERED WITH DUST
LOTS OF OTHER TOOLS

"NOT EVERYONE IS SMART ENOUGH TO BE SELF-EMPLOYED, SOMEONE HAS TO FLIP MY HAMBURGER!"

"COMMON SENSE ISNT VERY COMMON"
Old 03-10-2009, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Home Depot and Lowes are cheap on annuals. We grow a few of our own and their still cheaper at these places. Not sure about every area though.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I would really rather go to a nursery and get them. Plants at menards just cant be too healthy. Also, nurseries will give you a deal with x amount of annuals.
12' TRAILER
8' TRAILER
ARIENS SNOWTHROWER
STIHL EQUIPMENT
LOTS OF OTHER TOOLS

"NOT EVERYONE IS SMART ENOUGH TO BE SELF-EMPLOYED, SOMEONE HAS TO FLIP MY HAMBURGER!"

Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
if I feel I overcharged I'll always give the cust. a credit adjustment back.

Now THAT is some good business sense!!!

We have done this in the past, the customers love it. It just goes to show that you are an honest contractor.

For those that rely on the materials markup to 'make' money you need to rethink they way you are estimating. I used to do this when I first started 7-8 years ago...man was that the wrong way to do it. Charge for your labor, that is what you make you money on, not materials.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I would really rather go to a nursery and get them. Plants at menards just cant be too healthy. Also, nurseries will give you a deal with x amount of annuals.
I'm not sure if by "menards" you are referring to Lowe's and Depot, if so the plant farms that stock garden centers & nurseries are the same one's that deliver to Lowe's/Depot. As far as annuals go the quality that I get at these guys are better than my nurseries. I wouldn't expect to go to Lowe's/Depot for mature plants or exotics, but with some plants the quality is the same and the price is better. I love a good value and would never sacrifice quality for it.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
I'm not sure if by "menards" you are referring to Lowe's and Depot, if so the plant farms that stock garden centers & nurseries are the same one's that deliver to Lowe's/Depot. As far as annuals go the quality that I get at these guys are better than my nurseries. I wouldn't expect to go to Lowe's/Depot for mature plants or exotics, but with some plants the quality is the same and the price is better. I love a good value and would never sacrifice quality for it.
huh..I didnt know that. I have had people tell me not to go to those stores and go to a nursery where they grow them. Thank you I love learning new things
12' TRAILER
8' TRAILER
ARIENS SNOWTHROWER
STIHL EQUIPMENT
LOTS OF OTHER TOOLS

Old 03-12-2009, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Just got to thinking again. Home Depot/Lowes, they dont give you price reductions after you buy all there stock do they? I might get a account where they are going to need around 5-8 flats of annuals, just throwing it out there. And they have 20 some locations. A nursery around here sells them to you cheaper than those large stores would. Ill have to find that out.
12' TRAILER
8' TRAILER
ARIENS SNOWTHROWER
STIHL EQUIPMENT
LOTS OF OTHER TOOLS

Old 03-12-2009, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Just got to thinking again. Home Depot/Lowes, they dont give you price reductions after you buy all there stock do they? I might get a account where they are going to need around 5-8 flats of annuals, just throwing it out there. And they have 20 some locations. A nursery around here sells them to you cheaper than those large stores would. Ill have to find that out.
Actually they do have contractor's pricing. Go to the garden center and see the Mgr. They can even order product for you. I got 50 Skip Laurels & 25 Otto Luyken Laurels today they were 7gl 30-36 inch for $19.50. John Deere Landscapes are over $35. Plus you get 1 yr warranty. I order B&B plants and trees all the time. They come from the same plant farms here in Mcminnville Tn. I still go to my nurseries but these corps. are good too.