Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-11-2009, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What would you do??

The first area is under a deck where it will get no sunlight. I am trying to help prevent everything from just washing out. I was thinking about bringing in more dirt to fill in and help the slope then plant some groundcover. But I am not sure what ground cover would work well. Does this sound like a good plan or what do you suggest?
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2009, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Now this is on the side of the house where their dogs go in and out of the house from. Was thinking about getting rid of the remaining grass and putting down some rock with some flagstone for a walking path..not to sure what would work out best. THANKS
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2009, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

another view
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2009, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

For under the deck i would look into and see what they would feel about you putting some rocks down because then there would be little to not maintenance from some weeds coming up through and it would help keep the soil in place. But if you had to go with plants i would go with something that loves full shade maybe a hosta or something like that.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLIND2100 View Post
For under the deck i would look into and see what they would feel about you putting some rocks down because then there would be little to not maintenance from some weeds coming up through and it would help keep the soil in place. But if you had to go with plants i would go with something that loves full shade maybe a hosta or something like that.

Yeah I was also thinking about putting rock down was thinking a groundcover may look a lil better. I can do whatever I want really this is a friends house and he is up for whatever
Old 03-11-2009, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I would grade the slope smooth put some driveway mat down with the edges turned down and buried then cover it with rock.
Not real attractive but effective for errosion control.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

o ok well in that cause i would just stick with puting down some fabric and just some nice stones, and from the pic it looks like the wall has a little red in it. so i would look for a type of rock with alittle bit red in it to help accent the wall and stones
Old 03-12-2009, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with all the other posts.

Pinning down some fabric and laying rock over it would be a good idea. The area is more for utility purposes and any ground cover under the deck might turn into a mess.

I like the idea of using flagstone along the side of the building. It wouldn't take too much rock in between the AC units and the flagstone, so see if you can talk the owner into a little more colorful rock in there instead of plain river rock.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you guys rock it will be. Yes if I went with rock I figured it would be good to get something with some red to have good flow. That area will be first he was wanting to hold off on the side but I wanted to start planing out what to do. Will get some pics when I'm done also doing some planting in front.

White Gardens thanks for chiming in, from what I've seen in other posts you are my go to guy when it comes to planting(hope ya dont mind lol) thanks
Old 03-12-2009, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

retaining wall and stone