Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-12-2009, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2brothersyardcare View Post
retaining wall and stone
Those blocks on the lower part ofthe pic would be the retaining wall, now I am working on the part above the wall. The wall took care of the majority.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star Lawn Care View Post

White Gardens thanks for chiming in, from what I've seen in other posts you are my go to guy when it comes to planting(hope ya dont mind lol) thanks
Heck, it's only my opinion, but if you if you think it's worth something and helps you out, then that's great, glad to help.

You might be able to get away with an English ivy of some sort under the deck, but I'm with others, not much of an area and it would be a pain to maintain.

If you need some pics of flagstone paths in rocks, I've got a couple. I just did one that has a mountain blend rock in it, and it's looks pretty good.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.

Last edited by White Gardens; 03-12-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Heck, it's only my opinion, but if you if you think it's worth something and helps you out, then that's great, glad to help.

You might be able to get away with an English ivy of some sort under the deck, but I'm with others, not much of an area and it would be a pain to maintain.

If you need some pics of flagstone paths in rocks, I've got a couple. I just did one that has a mountain blend rock in it, and it's looks pretty good.
Well I am in the process in trying to learn more about plants, flowers, etc. And you seem to have a pretty solid background in those areas so I feel I could learn some things from you. Any books or things you suggest that may help me out also??
Old 03-12-2009, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Well I am in the process in trying to learn more about plants, flowers, etc. And you seem to have a pretty solid background in those areas so I feel I could learn some things from you. Any books or things you suggest that may help me out also??
I've still got a ways to go in learning plants and landscape ideas. It all comes down to knowing what readily available in your area, and also landing the jobs with a little creative freedom. Whenever I go to a nursery, I'm always nosing around and looking at the obscure stuff. Eventually things start sticking with you and the sensory overload from learning plants tends to subside.

I watch a lot of the victory garden on PBS. Lots of good info and garden ideas there. I also have about 3 tree encyclopedias, and 3 plant encyclopedias for cross-referencing plants I don't know. I also have a couple of magazine subscriptions such as PRO.

The MG course was invaluable. They cover so many topics and you get a professional from the local universities to cover each topic. The hands on experience lead to me receiving answers dealing with local issues dealing with horticulture and landscaping. The thing that has stuck with me the most is the problem solving skills you learn to use your MG knowledge to help your local community with gardening issues.

I also travel around the area to scope out gardens. I know STL has some good places, and you can ride off most of it on your expense sheets. Take any employees with you too, the more they learn, the better they are for your company. I've got a part-time occasional helper that I take to garden centers, etc...

I think my favorite jobs I've seen on Lawnsite is what chestnut oak pres has done and what Jimlewis has posted in the Landscaping forum.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I've still got a ways to go in learning plants and landscape ideas. It all comes down to knowing what readily available in your area, and also landing the jobs with a little creative freedom. Whenever I go to a nursery, I'm always nosing around and looking at the obscure stuff. Eventually things start sticking with you and the sensory overload from learning plants tends to subside.

I watch a lot of the victory garden on PBS. Lots of good info and garden ideas there. I also have about 3 tree encyclopedias, and 3 plant encyclopedias for cross-referencing plants I don't know. I also have a couple of magazine subscriptions such as PRO.

The MG course was invaluable. They cover so many topics and you get a professional from the local universities to cover each topic. The hands on experience was awesome. The thing that has stuck with me the most is the problem solving skills you learn to use your MG knowledge to help your local community with gardening issues.

I also travel around the area to scope out gardens. I know STL has some good places, and you can ride off most of it on your expense sheets. Take any employees with you too, the more they learn, the better they are for your company. I've got a part-time occasional helper that I take to garden centers, etc...

I think my favorite jobs I've seen on Lawnsite is what chestnut oak pres has done and what Jimlewis has posted in the Landscaping forum. They have some great perspectives and knowledge of their environments.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Landscape fabric and 1" crushed stone under the deck is ideal...it is pretty standard around here. You can then design plantings for either side of the stairs, and also along the outside(if it gets any sun).

I'd consider a paver job for the entire side of the house. Or maybe leave the space between the AC units for small plants. The dogs may ruin any plantings you put in, since it looks like they pee there. Pavers will be a neat, permanent, pee-proof solution.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 03-12-2009, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If that area is mainly under the deck, then it really isn't getting heavy water to it in the form of down pours, etc. From the picture I see a little dog toy laying in the mulch and from you saying about the dog path, I think it might be a safe assumption to say that the dog(s) are the main reason mulch and debis have been going over the side. That isn't a very steep grade from what I can see.
2 -Toro Z450 w/ Bagger + Striping Kit
32" Lesco w/ Sulky & Bagger
36" Lesco w/ Sulky
3 - Husqvarna Push Mowers
Lawnboy Push Mower
Husqvarna 125E Combi w/ Hedge Trimmer
2 - Husqvarna 223L Trimmers
3 - Poulan Pro BP400 BP Blowers
Husqvarna 125BT BP Blower
Tanaka TPE-260PF Stick Edger
Cyclone Rake
3 - Stihl Hedge Trimmers