Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2009, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

On another thread they are all excited about lawnsite having a record number of members online...where do you think they come from.

Fun to watch guys celebrate their demise...and they don't even know it.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

wow. i didn't realize how things are i guess. i'm from a small town and i only have 1 large account and a few small ones. i could see $100 or at the extreme $200 less but $500 less or a job that takes 25-30 hrs? it just seems inconceivable to me. i guess i should start cutting throats too!!? then again.... no thanks i don't wanna get caught up in it then i'll have to be running around like the rest of the cut throats getting more jobs to make up for the ones they are not making any$$ on. i guess that's life in the lawn care business,eh? at least my equipment is paid for. damn lowballers anyhow. thanks for the input, pete
Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED'S LAWNCARE View Post
So you're saying 500 less per week that is 26k yr??? Could be done it's all in the overhead. I bid a school system a few years back 5 schools total. I was the 2nd highest 145k the bid went to 57k. All the others were 95-130k? I consider myself more of a lowballer too. Like I said it's all in the overhead.
what's really wrong with the picture is, all my equipment is paid for. i don't owe a dime on any of it. the throat slasher i'm referring to has 2 trucks, 2 trailers, 3 wright standers,a zero turn, and they all are financed. and he's cutting my throat? you'd think i'd be the lowballer as my overhead is very low. ya learn something every day i guess.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

---------
Old 03-13-2009, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
friend of mine just lost a condo complex to a company doing it for 8000 less. he said he didnt make that much in profit off of that place in the last year.

Is that 8000 less per year? That can be easily done. Your Equipment will tell you how you can bid. Its a big factor. I'll put it this way, I work for a lawn cutter as my full time job (I just do the build side of landscaping part time), but most of people on here cut commericals/condos/HOA/Municapalities with ZTR ranging from 52-60 in machines. We step in with a machines that are sized bigger than ZTR's, IE with a Toro 325, a 580-D type machines along with the smaller machines, our productivity is through the roof, in fact I laugh a little inside when other landscapers tell us that we under bid them in lawn mowing. It is a bigger expense but in the long run it makes more money because of the costs they save.

I just got the owner, who has been doing this for 29 years, to buy his first Grandstand (instead of a 52in WB), along with another Diesel ZTR (He's old school using Out fronts and Tractors, he purchased his first ZTR 4 years ago) just for this season. But I've been drilling into him effectiency, effectiency, effectiency. His ways were more than proven and still profitably but with mower effectiency is a big key to this industry.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics

Last edited by Swampy; 03-13-2009 at 01:59 AM.