Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2009, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Musings

Musings,
As we have talked about cultural disease control in a couple of threads, and talked about synthetics vs organics, I can't help but muse about the semantics of it all. The real issue, as I see it, isn't this pseudo war between "organics" vs synthetics, but what should be a true crusade toward BMPs. And for obvious reasons that are being documented in the "synthetic world" as well, cultural practices should come first. In my situation, growing a golf green at <.250" is far from the best cultural environment. Those hybrid bermuda's they are maintaining at <.100" even more so, but that is the product we provide, so raising HOC isn't really an option, BUT so many other things are. I haven't worked at a luxury budget golf course since I was a kid. My post college career has been at financially distressed properties. I have floated back to using my irrigation skills and working residential/commercial instead of golf on several occasions. When you don't have the $$$ to just throw out there, you have to be good at the cultural. Getting those above you to understand the limitations is the challenge. The better you do with what you have, the more they expect. We are an "instant fix" society. This leads us to the synthetic route vs a true cultural cure of many problems. Why work for the best end results when you can "spray and pray" and be home for the weekend? The detrimental side effects of this mentality are becoming more and more DOCUMENTED. The suppositions by the old timers that these problems would be here has always been there. I think where I am going with this is a request for more of an "open mind" from some who are here. I think you will find the organics "cause" more befriended if we don't knock the "cheats" so much and concentrate our efforts on the educational aspects of the detrimental aspects of so many of the synthetic " 'cides" out there. We need to be vocal at the university level that research needs to be done and documented. The studies by Christians on the corn gluten are an excellent example. We need to work on the mentality that says you can't compare a synthetic control to cultural control. Most disease trials insist on the cultural conditions to be as "honest" as possible. This is NOT being "honest", it is perpetuating a mentality that says we have a magic pill for everything. ROI should require that we not waste the water to make the site favorable in the first place. We should do everything we can to promote the health of the target site vs artificial immunity from a chemical that is (in most cases, not all) limiting or destroying the natural immunity at the same time.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You just had some coffee didnt you?
Old 03-17-2009, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dont Drink that poison.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bic
Very well said
The fact of the matter is that turf, except in sports and golf scenarios, is very easy to keep in fairly good shape with little to no effort

Golf and sports has a LOT of foot traffic, often you have to grow a new crop of turf every year.......and it has to be close to perfect

The cultural practices that you talk about are the key to great management of any site
My personal thought is

the money has to be spent to have personnel on the site..... Okay given
The money has to spent to have the irrigation, park bench painted, balls picked up on the driving range, etc

INPUTS is the exception
IF, you can figure out how to do the inputs differently and sustainable that is a large impact
Less water, less seed (not at first), less fertilizer, less cides

Fertile soil can grow anything

In sand based "sports" and "golf" organic matter is a bad word
If the fertile soil has aggrigation and soil porosity, it is basically sand based but fertile

HHHMMMMMM, I need to think about that
Old 03-17-2009, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is always going to come down to...

"What's in it for me," and, "Where's the money?"

If we functioned according to 'ideals' - rather than the economy... We might still be America!!!