Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2009, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Top Story

Has anyone else heard? Just got my Lawn and Landscape newsletter emailed to me and the top story is that Echo and Shindaiwa are merging.

“Both ECHO and Shindaiwa are well respected premium brands in the outdoor power equipment industry. The merger of these operations will result in an efficient organization with lower costs, allowing both brands to be even more competitive in the North and South American markets,” said Yasushi Asamoto, chairman of Yamabiko.

What is the general feeling here? I have all Echo handhelds and like them and we all know Shindaiwa is good. Is this a new powerhouse?
Old 03-17-2009, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

read it a wile ago
Old 03-17-2009, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know about shindi, but all of the echo products I have bought have turned out to be junk, with the exception of my backpack blower.

I hope the shindi products are good, otherwise they are mixing crap with crap.

Although, I will say that years ago, in the computer world, when HP and Compaq merged, it was a crap merging with crap situation, and now HP- Compaq makes a pretty good machine.

Either way though, I will never give up my Tanaka Products.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

lush,
That sucks that you have had trouble with Echo, I have them and love them. I have never tried Tanaka but I am considering their one man auger.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I read several months ago that the two companies were forming a joint venture or something, but I think they are speeding up the process and becoming more streamlined than they originally planned.

I wonder how much technology sharing there will be. Will they end up being the same product, just different colors? I guess we'll find out.

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 03-18-2009, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've used Echo since the early 80's All I can say is that the equipment has been VERY very good to me. I have some equipment that is several years old, and still runs great. The one thing about Echo - especially compared to all the Stihl and other stuff we have, is this stuff ALWAYS fires right up within a few pulls. Even after sitting for the off season.....a few pulls to get the juices flowing, and bam...it fires right up. While some of the Stihl stuff starts ok, it is not nearly as consistent, and some is even temperamental.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.