Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-19-2009, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holleys Landscaping View Post
That could possibly be true, but guess is that the people taking the class are obviously interested in doing it themselves. But when they come upon something that they can not do, they will remember you from the program and give you a call. The main reason im taking it, is to say im a master gardener and post the logo places with my biz logo.

At least here you can't do that. You are representing the state and state universities.

You can tell people you took the MG course, and are part of the program, but, you can't market yourself as an MG and do business that way as that creates a bag of liability issues. Besides, the MG program is strictly a volunteer effort.

Talk to your course leader to confirm this.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

one of the landscapers in my area showed me an advertisement of his and had a little box with all the logos of the classes that he has taken or was certified in. Also, I am not going to go around associating MG with my company constantly. I just want to throw the logo on some of my ads to show that Ive taken the time to become educated.
12' TRAILER
8' TRAILER
ARIENS SNOWTHROWER
STIHL EQUIPMENT
ECHO EQUIPMENT COVERED WITH DUST
LOTS OF OTHER TOOLS

"NOT EVERYONE IS SMART ENOUGH TO BE SELF-EMPLOYED, SOMEONE HAS TO FLIP MY HAMBURGER!"

"COMMON SENSE ISNT VERY COMMON"
Old 03-19-2009, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In NJ it is also not allowed to use the Master Gardener designation in any way associated with revenue. It is a volunteer program that promotes volunteerism.

It is also directed much more towards gardeners than it is to landscapers, but what works at your home may work well for others. It is a good program for additional information and a great source of networking in the local "green" community. Often members of the shade tree committee or other local environmental groups, draw their membership from local Master gardener programs. Depending on the information provided and the instructors, a Master Gardener program is a worthwhile investment of your time.

Kirk
Old 03-19-2009, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holleys Landscaping View Post
one of the landscapers in my area showed me an advertisement of his and had a little box with all the logos of the classes that he has taken or was certified in. Also, I am not going to go around associating MG with my company constantly. I just want to throw the logo on some of my ads to show that Ive taken the time to become educated.
You and the other guy need to be careful. There can be some serious repercussions.

I'd talk to the extension coordinator before you put a logo on anything. I had the same conversation with ours, and there is no way that any MG can use a logo or title to do business as an MG.

The other guy has probably gotten away with it, but as soon as someone calls the extension office because he killed a tree, or something like that, then he's going to be in trouble.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.