Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2009, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Help with an Estimate

Hey everyone, I just want to tell you guys this site is a big help. I just started my own company, but have been doing this for 8yrs now. I am trying to land this apt complex, it's three buildings so for mowing i think it would take me by myself about 3-4 hrs, but they are wanting multch and pruning done. There are three other companies bidding,I don't want to low-ball either but i do want to be in the competitive price bracket. Thanks again guys.

Shawn
Old 03-19-2009, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarylandscapegroup View Post
Hey everyone, I just want to tell you guys this site is a big help. I just started my own company, but have been doing this for 8yrs now. I am trying to land this apt complex, it's three buildings so for mowing i think it would take me by myself about 3-4 hrs, but they are wanting multch and pruning done. There are three other companies bidding,I don't want to low-ball either but i do want to be in the competitive price bracket. Thanks again guys.

Shawn
What would make it worth it for you to do it? Figure out your time and most people charge 45 an hour for work plus mat. Forget about what people charge and low-balling just bid what you wanna make on it. That way your happy when your doing it, and if you dont get it there are plenty more opportunities
Old 03-19-2009, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

is that a pretty typical rate for commercial work?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
is that a pretty typical rate for commercial work?
CT. You
Not here. Thats low for CT. I dont know Ohio prices. If you have been going at it 8 years you know your market better then any of us.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 03-19-2009, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$45 an hour? Wow is that low. I generally get between $55-65 depends on what i will be doing.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Shawn
generally speaking i would get bare minimum of $60 per hour for mowing per machine (4hrs x 60 = 240 )(1 guy).mulching i would get $75 to $85 per yd installed,just find out what the yardage they used last yr and times the yardage by 75 or 85 and and only put down the total for completion of the mulching..example 10yds x $85 = $850 you only would put down $850 installed because if you do the brake down i have found that people start thinkin we are making to much and the truth is we are the ones who have to truck it and maybe we will have helpers so i tend to leave out my brake down to keep it simple when it comes to mulch.one more thing if they want the beds edged an weeded out thats by the hour and i would try to get $60 per hr ..good luck and hope this helped..
Old 03-19-2009, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

That helped out alot, I assume you would price a little lower for the same thing but on a residential property?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
That helped out alot, I assume you would price a little lower for the same thing but on a residential property?
no i try to keep all my prices the same across the board ,less confusion for me in the long run.remember 4hrs is a long time to be on a property to mow it so you want to get paid a good rate for your time,dont cut your own throat and do it to cheap because chances are you could do a bunch of small lawns and make more in the long run.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersLawnmowing View Post
$45 an hour? Wow is that low. I generally get between $55-65 depends on what i will be doing.
45 is average around here wouldn't start charging 55 till I am atleast half full
Old 03-21-2009, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Member

i've just started my business. i put out flyers and somebody called. he had 3/4 acre not much trimming to do. i said does 80 sound fair and he said that was to high then i said how about 60 and he said he was going to talk to others. i live in the great lakes region.

what's a fair price for great lakes region?

Tags
estimate