Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2002, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

What do I need to get started

Hi,

I have never really done any large projects before, and i want to build a trailer. I have already designed it and determined where to brace it and so on, but I do not have any welding expierience. I wanted to know what type of welder to use and If there is someone or somewhere I can go for a class. I live in Edmond, Which is just north Of Oklahoma City.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-20-2002, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to plowsite.com and look in the welding forum. There is a current discussion on this topic.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In addition to the current discussion over at Plowsite.com on the subject of building a trailer, here's a couple of my thoughts:

For a welding machine, I would suggest getting one that uses 220 volt power. Whether it is MIG (wire feed) or "stick" (uses electrodes, aka "welding rods") will depend to a certain extent on how many $$$ you're willing to spend.

It will cost more to get set up with a decent MIG welder, but many people find it easier to learn welding with MIG. There is also the advantage of being able to use the MIG on light gauge material such as car/truck bodywork (turn down the arc voltage and wire speed, in some cases you can also switch to smaller wire) which the stick machine won't handle nearly as well.

On the other side of the coin, a decent stick machine can be had for a fairly decent price (I don't know what the prices are going to be down your way though - I'm from Canada) and will last a long time, also you can stick weld indoors or out with no problem while using MIG outdoors can be difficult on a breezy day because the wind will blow away the gas shield around the weld puddle, resulting in porosity (where the weld looks like the inside of an Aero chocolate bar.............. ) However, as mentioned above it's harder to weld light material with stick although you can get small (1/16") welding rod for the thin material - I have used them, but still not as nice as using MIG on thin metal

As for where to learn to weld, again I can't help you with specifics but look into any nearby community colleges or vocational schools and see what is offered. You may be able to take an introductory welding course to get the basics down and then simply practice (ie "build things" ) from there.

Good luck with your planned project, keep us posted and hope to hear from you soon.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the info guys. I have a catalof from tsc and am looking at it now

thanks again
milo
Old 07-28-2002, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definately take a welding class before welding a trailer. You must also consider how you will cut the material. Its a lot harder to weld something that is not square and hard to get large thick tubing square with wrong eguip. Also, everyone (almost) who welds can weld in the horizontal position. Soon your trailer will be big and difficult to just flip over, proficiency in verticle and upside down welding would be recomended. I have always wanted to build a trailer, but man they just sell them to cheap to bother. I just modify the one I have.

Have fun

Mark
Old 08-17-2002, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Like Mark said, most simple trailers might even cost less to buy than build.

I priced out a few and it was cheaper to buy than build.

Also would you trust that welding job just yet?