Register free!

Old 08-15-2002, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Wierd looking Dew???

Gents,

I have several small dots through out my yard that are brown. It looks like someone dipped their dog's feet in grass/weed killer and allowed it to wander here and there through my yard leaving small, irregular spots where the grass blade is turning brown.

This morning I noticed that the lawn was covered in a heavy amount of dew. The dew on the dead blades of grass in these effected areas appeared fuzzy! Almost like frost. When I touched the grass the frost like stuff disappeared and my finger was just wet.

Any idea what caused these brown spots and why the dew would form this way. It's almost liek the dead grass blades are covered in fine hairs to allow the dew to form in such a way.

Thank you in advanced,

Titanxt
Old 08-15-2002, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You've got Dollar Spot.

This can sometimes be managed by increased N, but generally you'll want to apply a Fungicide such as Banner Maxx.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dollar spot is the answer. Daconil would also help. You must be having warm humid weather right now.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I disagree,what were the temps the night before the last 3 days? was it humid too?I believe its pythium blight.This is a nasty disease,it wipes out the turf overnight,dollar spot does not move that quickly.Pythuim likes night time temps in the high 60's,low 70's,humidity,compacted turf,and high N. Remedys for pythuim are $$,you can knock it down with some Mancozeb,its not the best way,but it will knock it down for a week ,until the weather conditions pass.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

John brings up a valid point. If N levels are high right now due to a recent fertilizer app, then Pythium is likey.

On the other hand, if it's been more than 5 weeks since a fert & the lawn is looking a little off color with slow growth, it may be Dollar Spot.

Control stadegies differ so let's get it right.

Titanxt, you may have an agriculture experiment station nearby that can do a quick lab test that will confirm the actual causal agent. Call them before going. They will instruct you in how to remove & transport the sample. Our nearest lab has results ready at no charge while you wait. Usually less than an hour unless they're swamped.

Steve
Old 08-15-2002, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

One other thing i have gotten my share of both dollar spot and pythium on our Course,pythium looks like frost in the center,and dollar spot myclium looks like a spider web in the morning dew.The frost like look is what makes me think its pythium.there is a cool season pythium root rot also,it isnt as common,but Ive seen that too. I have used Chipco Signature with great success on pythuim this season,it is pricey though,since its systemic it lasts 2-3 weeks per application depending on disease pressure and if you use the 4 oz preventative or 8 oz rate.i tank mixed it once with macozeb fungicide for quick knockdown,and lasting control.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you guys do this to me Now tomorrow morning I will be looking at my grass to see if those spots look like frost or spider webs. I have always assumed dollar spot but maybe I am wrong. Love this site. Always makes me think
Old 08-16-2002, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Gents,

From all of the many pictures that I have seen on the internet for both Dollar Spot and Pythium, I have to say what I have looks more like Dollar Spot. The browning pattern, the way the grass is effected, and the fuzzy looking dew all matches various pictures of $ Spot.

How fast can this kill off my lawn? What is the long term effect? We have been suffering from high humidity, hot temps, and a lot of dew in the mornings. Which sounds like it is the cause. Also, I have been mowing about every third or fourth day at the highest setting my mower has which is about 3.5".

Further info...My lawn was fertilized about a month ago with a heavy application. Actually it was mistakingly done twice in one week.

You guys have been great! Thanks,

titanxt
Old 08-16-2002, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

After looking at my grass I conclude dollar spot. I have never treated it and the lawn has survived just fine. When the weather gets better the spots just grow back in. No one has ever noticed a problem other than me.
Old 08-17-2002, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

titanxt , i do not doubt you that it is in fact dollar spot,but dollar spot likes low fertility best,and if the lawn is high in N,you usually wont get it. Pythium loves high fertility though,so does brown patch,they are both a problem here in the summer heat,and humidity.Once the weather starts to break a little in early september, a strong shot of N will help grow out the sumer damage,that what i do,i do not fertilze in the summer at all,I put down a SRN fert about 1 lb in june,then again in september,after the temps drop a bit.