Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

experts in crabgrass control

Are all homeowners experts in the correct timing to apply crabgrass control?
We offer a 5 step program and the only time we get questioned about our application timing is during the spring when doing a crabgrass prevention.

Today we did aprox 40 lawns (In West central ohio)
5 customers said it was too early
3 customers said we were on schedule
2 customers said we were TOO LATE (t-g did our neighbors 2 weekd ago)

Is there any "Handouts" regarding University studies so I can educate my customers? Today I also explained to a loyal customer (took 20 minutes) that I know what Im doing, I finally convinced him ,but a quik handout would save alot of time and questions
Old 03-19-2009, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think you would find something to print and handout on any of the fert. manufacturers' websites, or one of the Universities' sites. A couple of links I found real quick when I googled 'Crabgrass' : pick one and print it out to keep in your arsenal, or google some more:
http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/lawn/index.html
http://landscaping.about.com/od/weed...crab_grass.htm
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7456.html
Old 03-19-2009, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I love but chemyawn did it already
Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm amazed that many customers commented or were even home for that matter. Of course everyone is an expert and It's best to just humor these customers, give them the quickest answer you can and move on. Consider creating your own info sheet. Detail your application window, why the product you use works, how it works etc.... University studies are great but the customer hired you for your expertise.... just explain your methods I think it gives you a more personalized amount of credibility. Remember TGCL is out treating lawns with urea (no pre-emergent). Your customers might value that info. Especially the " experts". JMO
Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbuckcavs View Post
Are all homeowners experts in the correct timing to apply crabgrass control?
We offer a 5 step program and the only time we get questioned about our application timing is during the spring when doing a crabgrass prevention.

Today we did aprox 40 lawns (In West central ohio)
5 customers said it was too early
3 customers said we were on schedule
2 customers said we were TOO LATE (t-g did our neighbors 2 weekd ago)

Is there any "Handouts" regarding University studies so I can educate my customers? Today I also explained to a loyal customer (took 20 minutes) that I know what Im doing, I finally convinced him ,but a quik handout would save alot of time and questions
I don't know ... you tell us ... when CG typically germinates in Indiana.

Here - I don't think about it until I see the 2 leaf frond. What are the odds that a liquid pre-m will cripple its ability to grow, at that stage?

Bottom Line -- "If your customers/clients question you" -- You have already lost. Are you a proffessional? or another lawnboy with stupid ideas... Something to think about...
Old 03-20-2009, 05:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

my customers love to pick my brain, i always come out ahead and they gain even more confindence in my work. mainly newer ones, but not always. it does not bother me but your expereince may have been worse. mine never argue my point once i have answered the question. the easiest way to deal with it somethimes is i let them know we do our apps depeding on the weather and not dates on a calendar!!!!! this lets them know i am thinking about it more than other companies whose app timelines are most important.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes the back of the bag shows the map of the US and the approx crabgrass germination dates. Show them the bag. And explain how the product lasts 4 months. Get permission and reprint it for your "Fact sheet for crabgrass". Be sure to explain the germination is a result of soil temperature and show them last years (or average) data on soil temps for your area. Explain on what day crabgrass was first visible last year in your town, from your own observation. Emphasize that your treatment is guaranteed and that you have a new product that can actually kill crabgrass, after it emerges if neccessary.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Redbuck,

I explained this to a customer here in my town on a new bid the other day. I told him that Crabgrass germinates here when the ground temp is 52-55 degrees and stays this way consecutively for several days. People instictively read the thermometer out side at air temp and assume that this is the time to apply. What about the ground temp??
I still go by the old time signs---------forsythia, narcissus,crocus blooms to aid me in timing. I carry a lawn thermometer around, but no 2 lawns are completely alike in soil structure and topography and will differ in soil temperature inversions. Some on my lawns are sandy loam, some are hard clay, some are clay loam, and there are occassional sandy farm soils. I can take a reading on the north end of town and one on the south end of town one hour apart and they will be off by 10 degrees.
Try to explain this to a customer whom has no education in thermography and probably lack common sense. This customer told me, I quote--" Man, you are losing me!" -"can you just kill the stuff before it comes up?"
I have taken information that is provided by our state extension office and duplicated the contents, made customer edit copies, highlighted important facts, and sent them in with their bills. Do they take the time to read this information? Probably not because they are relying on us to just kill the weeds. However, if you feel safe to educate your customer anyway, you can do just as I have done to make the transition easier, if taking the time to talk isn't a factor.
If you do these educational letters, do not go long winded. Make the font bold and large! Include a heading that says do not throw away! Attention! Read!
Old 03-21-2009, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

crabgrass app timing

Go to www.gddtracker.net for crabgrass timing for a few midwest states and sign up for alerts.