Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-14-2002, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

If you are after a tightspot truck stay away from the F-550 and F-450 with the 162 wheelbase these trucks need a acre to turn around. I have a 88 F-Superduty with a 161WB and I have troubles getting into places people want me togo usually is the road is 7 feet wide with brush and trees on either sides and its a back in job up to 1/2 a mile

The worst thing I hate is the saying ohya you can make it and get there with the load and its this terrible little goat trail driveway that is barely wide enough to have the truck pass through without ripping the mirrors off my truck.

One job I was on I had to haul 2 7000 pound loads of sand to a guy that was doing a concrete slab for a garage well anyways the driveway was damn near 45 degrees and I had to back down it. The driveway was just top dressed with crusher dust so it was slippery and I could only back down in one pass I couldn't drive ahead to adjust. The front wheels ended up locking up and the truck slid the 40 feet down the road to the slab site I got the load dumped and I was really worried about getting back out. I put the truck in first gear and creeped really slowly and I was surprised I made it the second load went about the same I would never do that again without a 4x4.

Back to the point if you want a truck with a good turning radius stick with the funny looking COE trucks like a GMC W-5000 they got about the tightest turning radius.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

is that kodiak cdl required and does it have airbrakes?

i didnt know the f-550 had a gvwr at 26,000, but nice to know
Old 08-19-2002, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

The 550 has a GCWR of 26,000 pounds pulling a trailer a 550 doesn't have a GVW of 26,000 pounds its max GVW is 17,000lbs on most applications.

You guys south of the boarder have the stupid rule that requires you to hold a CDL to drive a truck with a GVW over 26,000 pounds

Here in B.C. Canada a holder of a regular DL can drive any single axle truck with a GVW upto 35,000 pounds but you probably will need a air endorsement because a heavy single will have air brakes.

It don't matter for me I'am a commercial driver anyhow so I have a CDL.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

well , it aint that we cant drive em, its just that we dont make the rules.......lol

but then again, every here and there a rule is broken
Old 08-20-2002, 12:13 AM

Gravel Rat you are right. I looked in my '02 book on Ford Super Duty specs. F 550 MAX pay load is 17,500 lbs.
They also say for my F 250 GCWR is 20K and pay load is 12,500. That is good for a laugh. Every time I haul cars I am over weighted. HMM.
Ford has stuff so down rated for what it really can do.

As far as the US requiring CDL. I stand behind that 100%. There are way too many idiots on the road as it is. Requiring a CDL makes it just a little bit harder for some of them to get legal. That is a good thing.