Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-17-2009, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Help with Bidding and washer

I have a handy man service and I am looking to offer power washing this year. I want to know what the minimum GPM I will need to get the job done.

I also would like to know how you Bid the jobs and what would be a good price for marketing successfully by the SQ FT.

Also what tips can you offer me for power washing?

Thanks for your help

Grand Rapids, Bemidji and surrounding Area
You know I like my chicken fried...
Old 03-18-2009, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

No one? bump it please!!! I know you guys know what your talking about... Or do you?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

the minimum specs on a pressure washer to offer these services professionally would be at least a 3500 4 gpm machine. Bare minimum.

As far as the other questions. You make it sound like the trade can be explained in a few paragraphs. There's a lot to learn about the exterior cleaning trade if you want to do it right.
Start reading, and reading, old posts. do a search and go check out some of the many dedicated forums for just pressure washing and roof cleaning. You will find all the information you will need. I would advise you to crawl into this pool and not jump in head first. People that go into this half cocked usually fail. I've seen it happen over and over. good luck.
Pressure Washing Houses Jacksonville
Soft Roof Cleaning in Jacksonville
Old 03-21-2009, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I would advise that you definitely learn the ropes of this industry before you get into it. No offense, but most handymen who offer PW'ing are usually viewed as amateurs who are a jack-of-all-trades.
Roof Cleaning Evansville, Indiana
Evansville Movers 270-577-4149
Old 03-21-2009, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a pretty good knowlege of the trade. I have worked for A crew for 2 years. I am simply asking People on here what they feel the minimal specs are and what the typical standard Price per sqr ft is. The man who operates the crew I worked with claims that 4500psi 5.5 gpm is the minimal. I have trouble beleiving him because like so many other people, he is nothing but BS. I am a college student operating a handyman business in a small small town of old folks. I just want a unit that can clean drivways and siding along with decking. I am not looking to go all straight up pw, your right. I find very little passion in waving a wand around for the rest of my life, No offense to you who make great money and actually enjoy it. I have No intention on becoming a million dollar PW business with this. I have been asked for the service and I would like to provide it. Thanks.....haha I had to double take that handyman thing....I about chewed your azz out. thanks guys.

P.S. I have been reading up very much

Old 03-21-2009, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Tell me, why would we want to help someone damage our industry? You seem like a smart kid, but when you use terms like "I don't want to go all straight up PW", what I read in to that is, that I'm not 100% committed to doing this right, I just want to make a little extra money, and learn enough and, buy just enough equipment to come in as a hack, and further damage the exterior cleaning industry.
No offense taken about not wanting the pressure washing business be your future, but for those of us that run successful exterior cleaning companies, we may be a little hesitant to lend advice to someone that has such little respect to the industry that feeds our families.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

No offense meant, but as Lance said, think twice. When you say you don't want to go straight up PW, it devalues the trade. I realize you may not understand this viewpoint, but it's true. You offer it now, then a few years down the road, that customer calls you to do it again, and you don't offer it any longer. It makes it appear that it is just another service that ANYONE can do, and it devalues our ability to present ourselves as professional contractors.
Roof Cleaning Evansville, Indiana
Evansville Movers 270-577-4149
Old 03-22-2009, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

guys I do not mean to demize you and your businesses that feed your wife and kids. I was just trying to make the point that I am not looking to form a power washing company tht i will grow into a large large large enterprise. I am going to do a very good job and I am not degrating the trade in any way. I am simply wanting advice from you, the men who have years and yaers of experiance in the trade. I can ensure you that I am very proud of my work, I have never done any jobs half azzed. I am constantly researching on the work that I offer to make my work better. I would like to make more money obviosly else I would not have thought about offering this service.

Please guys, I mean no disrespect. I am just asking for advice, not for a goulitine.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

How much you need to charge for your services is really dependant on your particular business, and expenses, and also considering on what kind of salary you want to pull. Areas up north where the work is little less frequent, need to charge more than Florida pressure washing companies like mine because they can't work year round, and exteriors generally don't need to be cleaned as often either, so I can't really help on the pricing because there are to many variables.
One thing I will say is don't fall into the trap of trying to close jobs by being the cheapest company. Lowballers never make it. Learn to sell your service on quality, and value for a premium price.
If you are really serious about learning all the tricks of the trade, check out some of the dedicated forums for pressure washing and roof cleaning. It is just to difficult to try to break down all the info you will need to get off to a successful start in this business in just one post.
Just some quick nuggets:
Learn how exterior cleaning is all about using the right chemicals to clean, it's not about using high pressure to clean. A pressure washer is simply another tool in you arsenal. In most cases, it's just an efficient way to apply chemicals and rinse.
Learn about the business and marketing side. This is the most important part, and the reason why most fail by not learning and understanding how to market the service, and keep the work coming in at a reasonable profit.

Hope this helps, and like I said, check out some of the other forums that are dedicated to the pressure washing and roof cleaning trades. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you CCPC. I appreciate it. Those are good points. can you suggest any forums or liturature?