Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2009, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Operations Manager

OK, I need some advice from some/any of you that have bigger companies. I am at the point where I need an operations manager to over see day-to-day operations of the company. So that I can concentrate more on sales. Here are the duties that I would expect this person to be able to do:
1.Prepare crews (I have three crews) in the morning by getting them ready to go(Making sure crew leaders have and understand route sheets, make sure they have proper tools on trucks, etc.)
2. Out in the field, perform quality control checks of properties serviced, while also inspecting properties for additional work that needs to be performed in regards to landscape maintenance & lawn care.
3. Talk to property managers of commercial accounts, to ensure they are happy with work, ask them about likes/dislikes of landscape. And attempt to upsell additional services.
4. Come in at end of day to make sure crews are checked in and that crew leaders have all tools/equipment accounted for. and also lock up shop, etc.
5. Occassionally bid on jobs I cannot get to.
What I am needing help with, is what a fair salary would be to pay this person. Assuming the person is experienced, I was initially thinking somewhere between $45k - $50k per year. I would provide them a company truck to drive around during the day, but not to take home. Would also provide cell phone and laptop. I would provide them medical benefits, paid vacation, etc. I do not have a 401k established. Anyone out there with advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Slippery slope. A lot of good LCO's have been down this path and didn't survive. This is the position that I wouldn't give up, I hired salespeople worked out good for me. (1 male 1 female)