Register free!

Old 08-18-2002, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

TN Fertilizer License Requirement

For anyone in TN - what license do I need to be able to spread fertilizer?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2002, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Give me a day and I will retrive the info I have and post it for you.
There are some difficult requirements in the statute that may be circumvented if you do lawn care only, although there are no restructions for fert. only. The problem comes in when you apply any pesticide or herbicide, including what the homeowner can purchase and apply themselves. JD
Old 08-19-2002, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, first, go to the UT Ag. Extension Service @ http://www.utextension.utk.edu/topic...t/default.asp. Under 'programs & services' click on 'pesticide applicator training. Most of the data is there.
Make sure you go to the Dept. of Agriculture web site, www.state.tn.us/agriculture. click on regulatory services and explore the 'ag inputs & pesticides' tab and the 'permits & licenses' tab.
The way you qualify for the exam is to 1. have two years verifiable experience. 2. have a four-year degree with a major in a related field. 3. hold a similar license in another state.
Before you become discouraged with the requirements, go to the Ag. rules @ www.state.tn.us/sos/rules/0080/0080/htm. Click on 0080-6, then click on 0080-6-14, 'regulations for pest control operators'. You will find that lawn and turf applications are exempt and require experience only. You may have to appear before the board and answer a few questions before they will certify you to take the exam. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks! That's exactly the information I need.

Hawkeye5 - I've done some work in your area (blowing mulch). Have you been in business long?
Old 08-20-2002, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Which time?? I've been in and out. Right now I'm out, but will re-enter next season. I'm working on it incrementally. Just picked up the trailer Sunday (now I wish I had kept my other one, or at least the Trimmer Traps). Also spent some time as a groundskeeper at the National Cemetery in Madison.
Also try to find an Extension Service publication SP 363-E "Licensing of Commercial Pest Control Operators". I printed it from the internet, but there is no address on the document, that will show you the steps you need to take for certification and what the requirements are for bonds and liability insurance. JD
Old 08-21-2002, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

More.....I traded email with Jace Burch who is in charge of license issuance.
I asked how the Board decides what consitutes "sufficient experience" in the Lawn and Turf category, and what experience are they looking for? Response: "Typically what is called related experience. Meaning you've run a lawn care maintenance business for at least two years and applied pesticides unaware of the law (do you believe it!!). They will also look for things like professional certifications and mdmbership in trade associations. You will be asked direct questions along the lines of "how would you treat for X problem?"
JD
Old 08-21-2002, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks!