Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2009, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ICT's NPP

Hey Bill!

I just received my order of 123 and NPP. Will the NPP work on snow mold? I have a bunch of it in my yard and I saw some at an estimate I went on the other day.
If so, when should I apply. It still gets below freezing at night here.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
Hey Bill!

I just received my order of 123 and NPP. Will the NPP work on snow mold? I have a bunch of it in my yard and I saw some at an estimate I went on the other day.
We don't have any testing data on it and do not claim it on the label, it is actually the first time that question has been asked
I would have to assume that it will hydrolyze it (turn it to water)

We will be happy to replace any you use for free if you want to trial it and tell us what happens. at 2 to 4 ounces per 1000 with good foliar coverage it should get rid of it right away

although testing on powdery mildew was not as promising as we thought it would be
Old 03-25-2009, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
Hey Bill!

Spring cleanup involves a good backpack blower. Snow mold is not a disease. Snow mold is the fungi growing in an anaerobic, high moisture, and cold environment. I see it in many spots where I am cleaning up the ground, of loose thatch and miscellaneous debris.

Once I 'aerate' the surface - with the blower - the fungi goes away...

I hear you should be careful!!! ... of 'red or pink' Snow Mold!!!, but I have never experienced that 'type', here in Z3 of Wisco.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i just take a rake to the area and pull up the grass to let it breath. the new growth will fill in the spot.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

OUCH, Pink and Grey Snow Mold are the banes of those who experience extended snow cover. Hence the name "snow" mold. A quick internet search provided links to Pink and Grey at the same Cornell site.

The synthetic for snow mold control is PCNB, one of the worst cases of water pollution documented to be applied to turf. The control must be applied before snow cover and watered into the thatch layer. The further north and the more snow cover an area gets, the more of a problem snow mold becomes.

I would love to see Bill's product proven to work on snow mold. I "passed" on any snow mold applications this year. Maybe I got "lucky", but it turned out to be a good call. We thawed and melted, and then received new snow cover several times this year. Without a continous cover in excess of 30 days or more, I don't think you will see snow mold. I doubt that any further snow, even in the northern most parts of the US would last long enough to cause snow mold if you have melted clear at this point.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?