Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2009, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicmudpuppy View Post
This is where my "reality" becomes so surreal to the rest of the industry. A sand based golf green is just that. A mound of SAND. How much water do you have to apply to keep the top 4" of a sand pile 6' high wet? If you can't get SOM up to a point that it holds moisture, you end up watering almost endlessly in my environment. This is why I "drifted" over here in the first place. Much of what you guys do, I can't. I can't apply compost to my greens except, possibly during aerifications. My greens are @.160" HOC now and the goal will be to get as close to .125"HOC as possible without them becoming so "fast" (ball speed) that the greens become unplayable. I am looking at CT and if I can pull enough time away to keep the project moving, hope to be doing some CT apps by mid to late April. My fairways and rough areas could take compost applications, BUT applying compost to 17A of .500"HOC KBG is another labor challenge. If I can get a screener included in my capitol budget, then mixing compost that is made on site with sand and screened appropriately becomes a very attractive proposition. Pushing the OM with molasses is an easy and cheap way to push start things. Notice I am still pumping things up with Ammonium sulfate. Most here would call that a "bridge". I consider it a crutch. If I could find a good, quality source of bio-solids, I would push that year round instead, BUT I have to have the program in place. Bio-solids/organic ferts are VERY slow release. Once you get the program in place, you have a healthier soil and turf with LESS, but you have to get there first. I want a soil profiler (deep tine aerator, 10-12" depth capable) almost as bad as I want the screener.
I feel for you man. One thought I did have that may or may not be of value - Put down the bio-solids along with the regular fert and as the BS begins to release you may be able to gradually back off the Ferts. Just an idea...
Old 03-27-2009, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I feel for you man. One thought I did have that may or may not be of value - Put down the bio-solids along with the regular fert and as the BS begins to release you may be able to gradually back off the Ferts. Just an idea...
I put down 25#/m Milorganite over the open holes before top dressing with sand this week I have one heavy app of a syn greens grade fert that I will squeeze in and then only spoon the ammonium sulfate as needed! I hope to do the bio-solid thing again this fall when we aerate again. Possibly with 50-100% more material. Or, in a perfect world do a bio-solid app like this time and do a 20%+ compost mix with the sand!!

On that note, I forwarded a quote from pro-screen to the money people. Add a wheel kit so I can move it around, and include freight and it becomes $7200. I spend that in two seasons on sand and have "free" sand on site that just needs to be cleaned. If budget would allow, I would spend double that on sand every season, but .............economy
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 03-28-2009, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
No, but it is not sustainable either.

::ducks and runs for cover::
dont duck and run stay and fight, I get orange molasses for a song, and cane is just across the way. eh it is what it is...........

this is a drag typing with one hand.............. im out......
Old 03-29-2009, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
dont duck and run stay and fight, I get orange molasses for a song, and cane is just across the way. eh it is what it is...........

this is a drag typing with one hand.............. im out......
I've only been stopping in here for a short while, but miss ya TG. Don't reply if asking how you are is to personal, but I hope the prognosis is good and your getting better? It is good to hear from you. I was hoping you had some input on the validity of the molasses as an application vs its use in ct and composting.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

my spirit is good, after that its hit and miss, my left is a no go, and worst of all, my climbing career is about over for now............

it works the same for tea and compost and thatch or sand, its fast herd food......not a long term management tool...............