Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2009, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Crabgrass

I take care of a practice football field that gets beat in the fall. It has a crabgrass issue. We will be seeding with 100% P. Rye this Spring. Siduron or Tupersan is too expensive. Probably going to spray a combo of Drive and three way after a few mowings. Has Anyone else did this? Does it get too expensive going over 60k.

thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on what weeds it gets I might go with Drive alone as you can seed a lot of varieties at the time of application. Don't forget if you go that route to use MSO as surfactant so that you will get residual crabgrass control. I have done this but not on the scale you have talked about. Three way will just about take out your spring for seeding. Don't forget about watering, aerating and fertilizing. Not trying to discourage from the Rye as it is a good choice. Have you heard of Titan Seed they sell a self repairing fescue that spreads with rhizomes like KBG plus has the six day germination period instead of 25. Consider pre-germinating seed to speed up germ rates by soaking seeds 12 hours on 12 off. Hope this helps

Matt
Old 03-17-2009, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Put down some MSMA to knock out what's there. Follow up with Dimension. I know about the ban on MSMA, but hey--you wanted a solution.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe instead of Drive and Three-way, use a product like Q4 from PBI Gordon. Al though the label my have certain seeding guidlines, so check it out.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Possibly you could seed the(top quality) p rye early, and possibly it would be mature enough, (about two mowings) to withstand the crabgrass control (Dimension), and follow up with Drive as needed. Three way shoud be OK after two mowings, but I would wait and not do everything in the same week. Include plenty of fertilizer and water to increase thickness. Professionals mow 3 times per week at about one-inch.